Hens are bullying rooster???

Alphamare13

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2023
So…. first I’ll start with in very excited, we got our very first egg today! 😍 BUT, I also noticed my hens/at least the 3 Wyandottes, which are also the ones/one who just laid the egg are pecking at the roosters back…. and he’s letting them! 😳😪 He’s got a bloody spot there now and idk what to do??? I tried shewing them away from him, but they just keep going back. (I’ve raised them from little bitties and he’s always been a bit of a bully but I feel bad for him now and don’t know why their suddenly doing this or why he’d let them? Will they stop? Is this normal? Can someone please help me out here as I’m new to raising chickens.

I did manage to get a little Vetricyn poultry wound spray on his back by reaching in a small door where their feed bowl is…. As I won’t go in their run with them anymore since he showed himself aggressive!

A run that's too small can cause the chickens to be aggressive. At least 10 square feet per chicken is required, and more is even better.

Roosters may overcome a hen and mate her, but it doesn't mean he's the head chicken. If a roo is younger or the same age, a hen may well be the alpha chicken. But even if he has a high rank, often rooster allow hens to preen their neck and face. Feathers may not always survive the process. Blu-kote can disguise the wound so the chickens won't be as attracted to the sore.

Back
Top Bottom