Hen scared of rooster? (Injured bird)

Abbkayx

Songster
Mar 23, 2018
Hi!

I made another thread about my limping hen. I've been treating her and she's doing okay - but now I'm concerned that's she's scared of my rooster. Is this a thing? I noticed when he gets around her - only her - he seems to want to grab her and just chase her around...(maybe because he knows she's hurt?)

I went out to check on her and the last few days she hangs by herself in a portion of the woods that no other chickens go. I coaxed her over for some scratch and water, which was about 20 feet from the group + roo. Watching her eat the scratch she seems very on edge, constantly looking up checking where the roo is (see video). Her neck / hackle feathers go up and she almost acts the way a broody momma does. She is quick to turn and run if she sees the roo aproaching

No other chickens react this way to him, they are all very comfortable with him. The injured bird in question does great around the other girls, they all do their thing and they don't pick on her - it's just the roo.

best course of action? Separate the roo? Get rid of him? Any ideas?

Attachments

• 38D87241-62E4-4E7F-8818-EC7B7F05DF59.jpeg
    38D87241-62E4-4E7F-8818-EC7B7F05DF59.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 14
Injured chickens are naturally more wary, and for good reason. A rooster's entire purpose in life is to mate, and it would be easier to chase her down than the other hens. This is probably why he's singling her out. She may be either mated excessively, or mating may be tough on her leg. I would say it depends on just how much it's bothering her. If the rooster is tearing feathers off her back, consider a hen apron. Unless it's impeding the healing process, other than that I would ignore this. Otherwise, it would be a good idea to separate either the hen or the roo, or at least limit time together.

This hen is obviously broody (clucking sounds etc.) and some roosters just do not know their way around a broody hen. Instead of protecting her they start chasing and even hurting broodies.

How old is your rooster?

Eh, some tidbitting sounds there that do sound broody.....and that could be part of it.
She's still limping too and probably doesn't want to be mated and maybe he won't accept that.
Have had a cock try to drive out a hen....wan't pretty and lasted about 6-8 weeks.

This hen is obviously broody (clucking sounds etc.) and some roosters just do not know their way around a broody hen. Instead of protecting her they start chasing and even hurting broodies.

How old is your rooster?

Shes not broody, but I had thought that as well because she does make a lot of broody noises. She doesn't sit or hang in the coop at all. She's only in there to sleep. I wish that were it though. We currently have 3 other broody girls.

My roo is 2, and has always been a good boy but seems to be getting more aggressive as he ages, which I thought was typically the opposite of what happens.

Shes not broody, but I had thought that as well because she does make a lot of broody noises. She doesn't sit or hang in the coop at all. She's only in there to sleep. I wish that were it though. We currently have 3 other broody girls.

My roo is 2, and has always been a good boy but seems to be getting more aggressive as he ages, which I thought was typically the opposite of what happens.

Well, hens start behaving broody long before they actually stay on the nest, including the sounds, avoiding the rooster etc.

Broodiness seems to be somewhat contagious. And losing four hens to it and thus not being able to mate them might be the reason he reacts increasingly aggressive.

Well, hens start behaving broody long before they actually stay on the nest, including the sounds, avoiding the rooster etc.

Broodiness seems to be somewhat contagious. And losing four hens to it and thus not being able to mate them might be the reason he reacts increasingly aggressive.

oh yeah, we've had 20+ Go broody over the course of 2 years. We do have lots of experience with broody girls. This one has been making those noises for over a week. She doesn't have a nest anywhere, is still laying. She only makes those noises when the rooster is around. She doesn't make them when the other hens are near her. It's literally only the roo. She runs and hides from him when she sees him.

oh yeah, we've had 20+ Go broody over the course of 2 years. We do have lots of experience with broody girls. This one has been making those noises for over a week. She doesn't have a nest anywhere, is still laying. She only makes those noises when the rooster is around. She doesn't make them when the other hens are near her. It's literally only the roo. She runs and hides from him when she sees him.
I would separate them for now. In a week try to integrate them back together and see how it goes. If his behavior continues I personally would consider getting rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom