hen seems dirty, maybe not preening area under vent

lastchickenstanding

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Hi. We have a white hen that is dirtier than the other hens. We ordered her from a hatchery and have had her for about a year and 1/2. She's the only hen who lays a white egg so I know that her egg production is good. She was debeaked when we got her. It appears that she isn't preening the area under her vent--it's not crusty but very dirty. We have other light-colored chickens and they're clean. They're mostly outside in the dirt/straw. I'm wondering if she's not preening as much anymore because of her beak?
Should I be worried?
Thank you for your help.

FIRST OFF, WELCOME TO BYC!!

It probably is the beak, but if she keeps laying, what's the difference?

I had a white leghorn that just LOVED to dust bath and she ALWAYS looked dirty... next to a clean white leghorn roo, you'd never have guessed that they were the same breed!

Have you checked for mites?
It's night time so, go get a flashlight and go check.
It's the best time. They are small, and if she has them check the others too. Then you will know what you are doing Sat. morning!
Good Luck!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
She probably can't preen like the others. Give her a hand and wash her hiney. I have a cochin that for some reason all that fluff under her vent gets poo stuck in it and I just give her a little hiney hair cut every so often. Unless you are seeing diarreha (sp?) or any other type of sickly behavior I would think she would appreciate a little help. I feel for the debeaked birds.

welcome-byc.gif

Not sure what mites look like, but I don't see anything crawling around... She's difficult to catch, but if I can catch her before tonite, I'll wash her up!
Thank you for all of your help. I love this forum!!
LCS

Back
Top Bottom