Hen seems fine, concerned about everything else

bonandtam

Chirping
Jul 23, 2023
Hi all, My chicky Bonnie has had some concerning things happen recently, she although seems fine but i know chickens can hide things well.
About 2 weeks ago i was hanging out with all the chickens, and in my peripheral i saw Bonnie throw up/something goopy and mucus but red come out of her mouth. As i took a double take she ate it back into her mouth and i thought it was worm because it was red, but the liquid on the dirt said otherwise. She seemed fine afterwards but i kept checking her. I was so shocked i stood there for a good minute 😭.
Her butt has been really dirty, but as really dirty like mud gets stuck to her because she poops like, liquid? and dirt gets stuck to it. Just cleaned her hence her butt, her feather were really seperate and her butt is a bit red, not sure if that’s a concern but please let me know.
In addition this is how her poop has been sometimes, does it look okay/healthy? why is it orangeeee?

Attachments

• IMG_9880.jpeg
    IMG_9880.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9874.jpeg
    IMG_9874.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9876.jpeg
    IMG_9876.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 8
What do you feed, including treats?

How does she act?

I'd check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. If it's not, then address that symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

When was her last egg?
Look her over for lice and mites, if possible, take a sample of her poop to the vet for a fecal float to rule out worms and coccidiosis as part of the problem.

She acts normal still, she eats well (pellets and mix scratch) and drinks water. It’s been a few hot days in Australia, but she still behaves normal. She been laying everyday and as well as today. Lately her treats are the norm, bread, rice, vegetables and fruit (apples, grapes, bread, lettuce) and mealworms. she also have dug around and ate some slugs and worms. I will check on her crop tomorrow morning and see what i can do about her poop!

Back
Top Bottom