hen setting for long time

Do you have a rooster in the flock? The hen can't hatch eggs if not. We never had a rooster and one of my hens were broody and would sit on her eggs for a long time. I just take the eggs from her which makes her get up. She doesn't peck me either!

A hen who steals her nest will likely hatch a larger % of chicks than a hen whose eggs are meddled with by a ham handed flock keeper.

Has the eggs been exposed to freezing tempts before mama hen took to her nest?

Once you learn what your doing it is much more fun to hen hatch your replacement chickens than it is to hatch them in an incubator.or buy them.

If he's been sitting on eggs for 5 1/2 weeks, yes - pull the eggs and put them in an incubator if you have one. It takes approximately 21 days for chicks to hatch, so you have about 11 days to get your brooder set up. (You won't be able to give them back to the hen as she will lose her maternal instinct once you break her broodiness)

I guess I should have started another thread as you all never read the first post I guess.

Moderator please delete this thread, if need I will start a new one.
Thanks

No my hen has not been sitting for the last few months-c'mon

After I found nest waited about 4 weeks and they smelled bad and felt like there was liquid in them.

OK it has been 10 days, how much longer should I wait??
Should I just pull the eggs and put in incubator?
After I found nest waited about 4 weeks and they smelled bad and felt like there was liquid in them.

OK it has been 10 days, how much longer should I wait??
Should I just pull the eggs and put in incubator?

I guess I should have started another thread as you all never read the first post I guess.

Thanks

We did read your first post - it says your hen has been sitting on her nest for "what feels like forever", although you had no idea even roughly how long she'd been sitting. You then went on to say you waited 4 weeks (although your first post was just over 3 weeks ago), disposed of those eggs, gave her more eggs, and it's been 10 days since then (although that math doesn't work either, now that I think about it). So, what should we think when we see those posts?

I have a Black Copper Maran that has been sitting on 11 eggs for seems like forever. Will she come off if they don't hatch or what should i do??
You didn't seem to know how long......thus some of the confusion.

Quote: Then you waited 4 more weeks.

Thanks

I read them all, see some I quoted above....and it's why I asked for clarification here:

Quote:
So you removed the nasty eggs that a hen had been sitting on day and night for 4 weeks....
....and added new eggs under her and she's still setting on them day and night??
We can help if you make the situation clear......or you can hit the red flag on your first post and ask the Mod to delete the whole thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom