Hen setting on eggs but is she going broody?

sweetappleacres

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
I have a silkie hen who has been setting in her nest box since yesterday day. I've only seen her get up once to go into the bigger coop but idk for how long. last night she was back on the nest box and continues to be on it today. I tried to pet her to see if she ruffled her feathers or made the broody hen noise but no. She did try to peck which is very usual bc she's one of the nicer silkie that loves to be petted on. I've had false alarms with her daughter who is also laying so I'm not sure if it's a conspiracy to try to trick me....they love playing games with me. I've had 2 fake eggs in the nest so they know that I want them to lay there and have been pretty successful. I had been gathering the eggs daily, about 2 eggs a day and 3 poss hens laying- 2 for sure, and have 11 in the incubator, but have been leaving this past weeks smaller eggs in the nest (I don't think they're fertile bc they come from the hen in question & I have not seen the rooster mount her). So she's laying on the 2 fakes & I believe 3 or 4 of her own eggs. BUt idk if she's going broody. Any advice?

After reading much about this, I do believe she has gone broody so I decided to place my weekly gathered eggs under her tonight. we set them under her rear (about 6 eggs) and took 1 of the 2 fakes out for more room as she's setting on 4 already. She adjusted herself and tucked them nicely underneath her. We'll find out in 3 weeks if we have chicks.
big_smile.png

After reading much about this, I do believe she has gone broody so I decided to place my weekly gathered eggs under her tonight. we set them under her rear (about 6 eggs) and took 1 of the 2 fakes out for more room as she's setting on 4 already. She adjusted herself and tucked them nicely underneath her. We'll find out in 3 weeks if we have chicks.
big_smile.png
I'm happy to hear that. Sorry I didn't see your thread sooner
hmm.png

Nope you're not crazy and believe me I know crazy I see it everyday in the mirror. Also this might be just a phase so she might not stay on them throughout the process. We just have to remember that these creatures are still unpredictable no matter how much we know about them.
smile.png

I hope it's the real deal. I've had them 1.5 months, she should be comfortable by now lol. He daughter tricked me a few weeks ago so I went and bought an incubator. The verdict is still out on that one. She seems to be displaying all the signs. And oddly enough I've had no eggs layed today, even tho I've collected 2 eggs everyday since I got them. All 3 hens like to lay them in the same nest in the same spot. My guess is I didn't have eggs today bc of this. She's in the spot they normally lay. Even tho a perfectly available nest is right next to that one. They're so picky.

I hope it's the real deal. I've had them 1.5 months, she should be comfortable by now lol. He daughter tricked me a few weeks ago so I went and bought an incubator. The verdict is still out on that one. She seems to be displaying all the signs. And oddly enough I've had no eggs layed today, even tho I've collected 2 eggs everyday since I got them. All 3 hens like to lay them in the same nest in the same spot. My guess is I didn't have eggs today bc of this. She's in the spot they normally lay. Even tho a perfectly available nest is right next to that one. They're so picky.
lol aren't they though? I have two RIR that constantly lay in the same nest. If one of them is in the nest and the other has to lay she'll squawk really loudly until the other gets done.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom