Hen showing same beginning symptoms of a mystery illness that killed another hen this past fall.

Sparkleyhead

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 14, 2013
I have a Buff Rock hen that just turned 2. For the past two or three weeks she has been laying 2 eggs at a time, but they are poor quality. One is chalky and rough and the other is thin shelled or just a membrane.

I am worried because this time last year (March) I had a Buff Orpington that had just turned 2 and was doing the same thing; 2 eggs at a time, one chalky and the other thin shelled/membrane. She seemed healthy and fine otherwise, but as the months progressed she stopped laying all together and dropped a ton of weight. Despite my research and a trip to the vet, I couldn't figure out what was happening to her and she ended up dying in October. I felt awful not knowing how to help her. Now my BR is showing the same beginning symptoms my BO showed and I'm really worried. I'm hoping someone could tell me what this is and why it's happening??

I want to nip this in the bud as fast as I can because I do NOT want my poor BR going through the same thing :( Could it be Fatty Liver Hemorrhagic Syndrome? Help please!!

Sorry I don't know the answer to that question or have any clue to what could be going on with your hen. Just wanted to sen d some good vibes your way! I'm on here trying to get some advice for one of my girls. Good luck!

Hens that age can suffer from many different reproductive problems such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, and ascites (fluid in the lower abdomen.) Early signs can be thin shelled or shell-less eggs, weight loss, progressing to reluctance to walk , an upright stance or a penguin walk. Since it is hard to pinpoint the problem without a vet and xrays, or a necropsy after death, some use powerful antibiotics to try to prolong life.

I appreciate the good vibes sent my way :) I hope someone is able to help you with your girl! Hopefully mine is just having some wacky hormones with the changing of the seasons and that she'll level out and be ok. I'll keep a close eyeball on her for the time being. See if I notice any change in her behavior and or weight. Unfortunately I can't afford any vet bills at the moment :( I'd take her if I could afford it. I took her this fall for an impacted crop. On the plus side, I have some really nice neighbors who have a bunch of chickens and are highly involved in 4-H. The husband is a poultry tester for the county fair and he is supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom