hen sick, need some advice...

mklindy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
Texas
I have Rhode Is red that has been acting sleepy (today) is day 3. I separated her on day 2 an have been getting some water in her. no other symptoms until this morning, today slight yellow diarrhea. lethargic but standing/sleeping. On my own have narrowed down to either red mites or Coccidiosis. Bleached out hen house this a.m. no other hens affected at this point. Have read about Amprol, vinegar in water, creosote solution in hen house to kill mites and mite eggs. Any advice before I pull out all these big guns of chemicals and head to hen house...

Is she eating? I don't have a lot of experience, but for me drugs would be a very last resort and only if I new for certain what the problem was. Personally, I would put organic apple cider vinegar or electrolytes in her water and feed her easy to digest foods like hard boiled egg-yolk, yogurt mixed with mash or crumbles and keep a close eye on her.

I hope that she feels better and that someone else will chime in to help!

Thank you Amybella...I am not to excited about the chemicals either. I am afraid for her sake though she needs to be wormed. I think I will do the vinegar in the hen yard waterers and watch for any other hens symptoms. thank you for your time and advice

Do you know if she has worms and/or mites or just wanting to treat in case? If you see mites definitely treat. If you can't find a one, I wouldn't do that right now. If you know she has or can confirm with stool sample that she has worms, definitely worm. With her being so weak, I would be reluctant to do it otherwise.

Make sure she stays hydrated -- crucial. Also give her 3 drops Polyvisol liquid children's vitamins (without iron) daily (gently dribble along her beak line with dropper). This is often recommended by others here on BYC.

I had a hen go lethargic like that last fall and rushed her to the vet. Blood work was consistent with inflammation and/or infection. Meds fixed her up very quickly but I felt like she wouldn't make it without them - we never knew what ailed her but she is the picture of health and bouncing energy today. Some transient thing.

How is her weight? What is her egg laying situation? Any chance eggbound or internally laying? Or have the eggs been normal and "on schedule"?

JJ

I'm so confused, just when I feel like I am doing the right thing then it seems wrong again. I started giving her Corid at the proper dilution rate on saturday. I can get between 40 and 60 cc in her before she refuses any more. She is fighting me more but still just cannot keep her eyes open. I started her on some yogurt (plain) last night and again this morning. she took 2 oz both times. The diarrhea is not yellow anymore and starting to have pellet shaped stool in water. I've read about secondary infections that maybe I should be giving her antibiotics for. Stopped laying as of last wednesday as far as I know.
She has food and water in her kennel but as far as I can tell she has not touched it. She is on her 6th day with only little bits of water and a total of 4 oz of yogurt in her. I cannot believe she is even still alive. I have no idea if I am helping her or not
sad.png

Last edited:
please, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

it seems very unlikely to me that this is a cocci problem if she is a full-grown hen. and since the only symptom you've mentioned is sleepiness, i'm kind of at a loss.

i don't know where in Texas you live, but if it's anything like where i am, the unending heat is getting more and more wearing on everyone's body, and could complicate any small health problem.

please forgive me for rambling. i've been in the heat today too much, myself.
big_smile.png
i guess what i'm wondering is if you're barking up the wrong tree and if you can tell us more specifics about why you narrowed it down to mites and cocci. maybe someone can point you in the right direction better.

i'm also sorry about your girl. hope she gets better right away.

Have you been able to get her out of the heat to more comfy conditions? Removing all stressors to her system is important.

Can you possibly take her to an avian vet? JJ

Back
Top Bottom