Hen sits in nestbox all day

accio! chickens

Songster
10 Years
Nov 28, 2009
CANADA
I have a hen and for the last couple of days she's been sitting in the nest boxes all day doing nothing. She appears to be setting but doesn't show other signs of being broody. She won't peck but she'll sing softly when I put my hand near or on her. She sits there all day, I don't know if she lays an egg.. she might, but I felt under her anyway and felt around her back end and couldn't feel anything.

Should I worry?

She even sleeps in the box at night.

She's broody, either get her some fertile eggs (make certain she is fed well)... or else break her of her broodiness.

*shrug* I kick her out when I can. I wasn't home this evening and it's too cold to go out now and I don't think it'll kill her being on the nest for one night. She doesn't act like my other hen who gets broody on occasion, who will eat you alive if you even try for the eggs. I'll kick her off the nest tomorrow. I had to pick her up last night and she even just sat out the ride until I put her on the ground. She was trying to brood 2 EE eggs and 2 Brown eggs lol. I don't have a roo yet but this is a good sign! ... Maybe it's cause they've been locked up for 3 days due to bad weather, high gusty and very cold winds, etc. Usually they're all out free ranging in the garden but for 3 days they haven't been out.

Back
Top Bottom