Hen sitting on egg with ruffled feathers?

TheReadyBoys

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 2, 2012
P.E.I, Canada
So One of my three hens has been sitting on the eggs for the past day. Her feathers get ruffled when I go near her, and she makes a funny noise. There have only been two eggs, and I am starting to wonder what she might be doing. Any ideas?

Hens can become broody even without a rooster. It is just a habit some of them form and isn't too hard to fix. Some say dunking your hen in cold water works. Heres the link to the video for more info
Apparently the way this technique works is their body temp is high when they are brooding and this apparently cools them off and breaks their broodiness. Haven't ever had a broody hen before but I wish you good luck with trying to fix her!
smile.png

Hens will go broody without a rooster. Try to keep her away from the nest, or other potential nests, for a couple of days.

Then, the next time she decides to sit, you give her fertile eggs. Breaking her broodiness wont effect her going broody in the future. Every hen I've had that has gone once, tends to go again at least once a year. Good luck :)

Then, the next time she decides to sit, you give her fertile eggs. Breaking her broodiness wont effect her going broody in the future. Every hen I've had that has gone once, tends to go again at least once a year. Good luck
smile.png
Yep. My Silkie hen has gone broody three times this year. Each time I've broken her. Gosh that girl is determined to sit.

The way I encourage broodiness is by leaving a clutch of eggs in an easily spotted nest box. Usually around five or so eggs.
smile.png

Last edited:
Going broody isn't a one-time thing. She'll go broody once (or twice, or more!) a year. Next time she does it, just give her fertile eggs and you'll have some babies.

You better take the eggs away from her for now, though. She won't leave the nest until they hatch. And if they don't hatch, she'll be sitting there a long time.

Back
Top Bottom