Hen sitting on eggs

TheChicInnKeeper

Chirping
15 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Asheville, NC
Hi,

We had a rooster adopt us last summer - we ended up building a coop, then enlarged it and built a hen house.
We adopted 2 young hens to keep our rooster company. We have no idea what kind of chickens they are.

We looked for eggs all last fall........... and had none. Just kept our 3 fed and comfortable all this winter. On 3/2/08 I was feeding them and noticed one missing. I found Miss Prissy in the henhouse, all scrunched down. She wouldn't move. Got my husband to check on her and we found her sitting on 7 eggs.

Well, we've tried not to disturb her much - she's in the henhouse and even moved her eggs after I put fresh straw down. But now there are only 3 eggs. We found one near the edge of the roost that she had kicked out of the nest.

We are now patiently waiting to see what happens. Is there anything I should do or any signs to look for? I'm afraid the eggs will hatch and the other chickens will eat them or hurt them.

Sorry this is so long!!

Help!!??!!

Cyndi

If there are only three that is because mother knows best!!! The other eggs were not any good. Keep an eye on her I would not move her until they hatch then I would move mama and babies to a secure place away from the others and start them on chic starter food. If you choose to take them away from her then they need to be kept very warm in your house. start at 95 then decrease temp by 5 degrees every week until they are 6-8 weeks old. Or at least that is what I do. Good Luck!!!

I would suggest if she hatches those 3 eggs to let her keep them. She will be a good mother. She will teach them what they need to know. She will keep them warm. Sometime between 6 and 8 weeks she will feel her job is done and her mothering instinct will turn off. Theother chickens in the coop will have learned to adjust and leave the chicks alone very early on. She will have protected them and they would be 'part of the family'. If you take them away you will have to spend 16 weeks tending them and keeping them separate and then have to spend time integrating them into the flock.

Congrats on your broody!

Thanks!

When we checked today there were 5 eggs - I think my husband just didn't see the other 2 last night.

Our hen that's sitting is Miss Prissy (your namesake, huh?). The other hen is Muriel and our rooster is Eustus (these names from Courage the Cowardly Dog cartoon). I was really happy that Miss Prissy was the first one to lay eggs..... I know she had a terrible time in the cartoon!

I think I'll wait and see how she does - and how the other 2 chickens react to the chicks..... I'm assuming I'll have chicks.... however, we are prepared to bring them inside if necessary.

I really loves this website! I'd enter our chicken coop in the contest but all I have are finished pictures.

Thanks again!

Cyndi

Well, Miss Prissy is still sitting on her eggs.

We are not sure how long she's been on them; 14 days for sure.

Finally figured out how to post some pics of our henhouse. They are on "My Page".

Patiently waiting for peepers!

Cyndi

Back
Top Bottom