Hen sitting

lolly2012

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Coventry
Hello I have only had my hens just a week today and Gertie has decided to sit on her egg. I'm not sure what to do.
It wasn't in my plans to let them have chicks but seems cruel to move her.
My worry is if the egg hatches and its a cockerel because where I live I'm not allowed to keep a cockerel.

They have been in with a cockerel so I presume they will be fertile.

Should I take the egg? Will it upset my girl?
sad.png

I am just forming the trust with them and they are starting to follow me now and come close to me whilst I am cleaning around etc and don't want to set the progress back

I do plan on having around another 4 hens making 8 in total but thought I would just buy some more.
smile.png

Any advice please x

This is really a personal choice. If you decide to remove the egg you should note that some "broody" hens can be quite aggressive. I recommend you remove it after she has roosted for the night. Keep in mind removing just the one egg might not break her.

I would go ahead and take the egg, its not going to be the end of the world for your hen she will get over it and be fine and in alittle time she will start laying again. Good luck and God bless.

I have the eggs
smile.png
Gertie got up to wander around so I sneaked in and got the eggs.

If she does persist in wanting to sit I think I may let her but In the mean time I will search for a suitable home should I get a little cockerel chick hatch in the future.
I never knew that keeping chickens could be so rewarding I just love my girls
big_smile.png
x

Back
Top Bottom