Hen sneezed blood. Ideas on why?

deidreg

Crowing
Jul 6, 2020
Connecticut
Today my husband saw one of our girls (Gigi-14 months old.) sitting on an egg in the nest, then saw blood splattered all over. When I got home, the nest looked like a crime scene!

We examined Gigi and she looked fine, except for dirt all over her nares and beak. (Vent looks normal.) I gently cleaned her off and didn't see any injuries. She's molting and otherwise behaving normally. I checked the rest of the flock and everyone looks fine.

We think Gigi sneezed blood, but have no idea why. Thoughts?

Has she been acting like she has a respiratory disease, such as having coughing or sneezing often, rattly breathing, gasping, or mucus from her beak and nostrils? Bloody mucus coming from the beak can be a sign of ILT, a respiratory disease. They cough up the bloody mucus and will shake their heads and sling it on the walls of the coop or nest boxes. Have you added any new birds recently? Hopefully this was just an isolated incident, perhaps from pecking or she might have swallowed something. ILT is a virus that will last for a few weeks. Let us know what you think. Here is some info about ILT:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/technical-update-infectious-laryngotracheitis-ilt

Back
Top Bottom