Hen sounds like a dying washing machine when she lays

Cierra

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I have a flock of three barred rocks and two brahma's- and two of the BR's have just started to lay. The first BR to lay has been laying for about two weeks. The first time she laid, she made a RACKET. I was worried my neighbors would complain if it kept up, but she has quit it since, and she now lays without any noise or fuss.

Yesterday my second BR started laying. And HOLY COW. It sounds like she is getting murdered, and it continues for 45 minutes-an hour. She laid an egg yesterday and today, and the noise was consistent both days. If this keeps up, I don't know how I will keep my neighbors happy. This was not a cute little "Egg song", this was an extended ballad on the horror of egg-laying.

Will she calm down? My first hen did, but she wasn't as enthusiastic as this one at the beginning. Is this normal? Can I distract her with treats?

Most likely will calm down. My barred rocks are my noisiest egg songers. Here is the racket my barred rock Marge started last winter.. And I wondered WHY I was asked to remove my chickens LOL. I moved to a location where the neighbours can't do anything about the racket my girls/boys make :plbb

Woah that's loud. I was showing my mother, and I had the volume all the way up (we weren't in the same room), then I stuck my headphones back in around half way through the video and forgot to turn the volume down before I put them back in my ear. I literally fell off my chair flailing for the volume control.

Back
Top Bottom