Hen spurs? or roo? 4 1/2 weeks

My chicks are about 4 1/2 weeks old and one (or more) of my RIR has small spur nobs on its legs. Is this only for roos? or can hens get it too? It was a little pointed. But the hackle feathers ( almost all in) looks flat/rounded at the ends, not pointed.

What should I look for? I have 3 EE, 1 buff orpington, 2 brahmas (1 dark, 1 buff) and 6 RIR. I know that its probably to early to tell, but any advice on what to look for (such as hackle feathers) would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
-click cluck

Pictures of the birds in question would help. 4 1/2 weeks for some breeds is a bit early to tell. Both pullets and cockerels can have the spur nubs, usually only cockerels will actually grow spurs but it's not unheard of for hens to grow spurs on occasion. Usually the best tells at this point are comb size and color, leg thickness, and hackle and saddle feathers will be longer, narrower and more pointed. But it can vary from breed to breed as to at what point it's easy to tell. I find my EE's to take longer to feather out and be sure, and tend to have smaller combs anyway. If you can post good pictures of the birds you are wondering about, in focus and full body side on so the hackles, saddles and combs are visible you can get more help, but you may have to let them get a bit older to tell.

Pictures of the birds in question would help. 4 1/2 weeks for some breeds is a bit early to tell. Both pullets and cockerels can have the spur nubs, usually only cockerels will actually grow spurs but it's not unheard of for hens to grow spurs on occasion. Usually the best tells at this point are comb size and color, leg thickness, and hackle and saddle feathers will be longer, narrower and more pointed. But it can vary from breed to breed as to at what point it's easy to tell. I find my EE's to take longer to feather out and be sure, and tend to have smaller combs anyway. If you can post good pictures of the birds you are wondering about, in focus and full body side on so the hackles, saddles and combs are visible you can get more help, but you may have to let them get a bit older to tell.
probably is to early to tell, ill post some pictures in about a week just so I don't have to use up to much of my data. I forgot about the redder combs, ill look out for that! thanks!

Back
Top Bottom