Hen Squawking Incessantly

AllisonM

Chirping
Aug 26, 2016
We have a Buff Orpington hen, around 18 months old, who starts squawking around 6:30 in the morning and continues on/off for a handful of hours. Just two hens total at this point, we had 3 but one died about 5 weeks ago. I know what egg song sounds like and she's not doing that, just squawwk squawk squawk squawk squawk squawk squawk squawk squawk squawk, squawwwwkkk squawk squawk squawk squawk squawk squawk, and on and on. We have an automatic door that opens at sunrise that lets them from the run into a larger fenced section of the yard.

We're pretty sure a possum has been visiting the coop at night for the past couple nights, but no clue how it would be getting inside. We saw droppings that look like dog poo, but smaller, around 3" long and maybe 1/2" diameter. I also found two crushed/emptied egg shells yesterday morning. The coop and run are very secure, so we're pretty confused about how something as big as a possum could be getting inside. We considered that it could be a rat, but the droppings seem bigger than the description we found online. Anything else it could be? We're in suburban Bay Area of California -- the main wildlife critters are possums, mice/rats, occasional raccoons, hawks, etc.

Her squawking didn't just start, but it's definitely much worse in the past couple days, since the time we think the possum has started coming around. She's always been a noisy hen, aside from the blissful peaceful times when she's broody. We're in a neighborhood, so squawking at 6:30 in the morning is really not acceptable. We can't add a rooster due to restrictions.

Any recommendations are appreciated. We're rather desperate.

A rooster won't change that, a bunch of my hens are loud mouths and do exactly what you describe. Oh gosh, one Orp was the loudest.. and I do mean LOUD! :love Definitely would not have been acceptable in the city. I would consider rehoming.

Oh NO... better yet, my two year old barred rock hen just started crowing a couple days back! :eek: It doesn't sound quite like crowing, since she is still honing in this new found talent. But VERY clear what it is. :p

What do you do when you hear the squawking? She might be training you, so you have to be careful and stick to a routine that doesn't encourage the behavior somehow.

Eggs now, birds next... :barnie something is getting in regardless of how secure you think it is. Pics can help us pic out any trouble spots. I would suspect an opossum, they are good diggers. Were the eggs left in the coop over night? Or freshly laid that morning. Rats are definitely an issue, even chicken predators. But I agree you did not find a rat dropping.

Please, for the most amount of help, post a pic of your coop and run. And hopefully others will also share ways to help keep hens subdued in the mornings. :fl

If she is squawking much more than she used to I think she's telling you something. You really should examine your coop and run and figure out the predator problem. Sounds like she is upset with something visiting, you should listen to her! You don't say where you are in the Bay Area but I used to live in San Leandro and Possoms, raccoons and skunks would use the sewers to travel and come out at night. They used to terrorize my terriers! Please find the hole in your coop or run, I really feel that is the problem. Good Luck! Report back please!
:frow

Back
Top Bottom