Hen squinting eyes and acting lethargic

prplehailstorm

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
I have a hen around 1 year old that started squinting, acting lethargic, and tucking in her head as if she’s cold. It’s about 68 outside today and no other hens are showing these signs. I read something about a possible respiratory infection but all the treatments point to medication that is prescription only. I have no vet around me that treats poultry and with the pandemic and high price of the medication itself, it’s just not doable for me money wise. Is there anything I can do for her? Any home remedy I can try?

Please post some photos of your hen and her eyes?

Is there any other symptoms like bubbles in the eyes, facial swelling, injury/scabs around the eyes, mucous, sneezing, coughing, etc.?

Does she lay eggs? Is she pooping?
What's her crop like - is it emptying overnight?

Where are you located in the world?

Will she eat/drink on her own?

Look her over for lice/mites while you are at it.

Please post some photos of your hen and her eyes?

Is there any other symptoms like bubbles in the eyes, facial swelling, injury/scabs around the eyes, mucous, sneezing, coughing, etc.?

Does she lay eggs? Is she pooping?
What's her crop like - is it emptying overnight?

Where are you located in the world?

Will she eat/drink on her own?

Look her over for lice/mites while you are at it.

I am sorry it took so long to get back.The last few days have been crazy. The hen is still with us though!

to answer your questions;

no other symptoms but the lethargy and squinting.

she is not laying eggs. It’s been awhile. Maybe a week since she’s laid. She was never the best layer so I didn’t think much of it. Especially with all my girls slowing down for the winter. As far as the crop. I just found out that was a thing! I was looking her over and this lump gave me a fright. I haven’t checked her in the morning yet but I’ll do so tomorrow

I am located in California.

she does eat and drink on her own. I also took some corn out and she perked right up as if nothing was wrong.

during my look over of her I did see a parasite looking bug. It did not cross my mind since I keep my coop pretty clean. I don’t know what it was and I only saw a couple so it didn’t look like a whole infestation. I put some on the ground in their run/coop and I sprinkled a little on their bedding. This is my first time owning chickens so idk what else I can do to help. So you think that they could be what’s causing these symptoms?

Attachments

• 0FAAA2E4-AA58-44CD-BF0E-A8F5CCC66C95.jpeg
    0FAAA2E4-AA58-44CD-BF0E-A8F5CCC66C95.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 19
I would re-check her crop first thing in the morning, if it's not empty, follow one of the articles linked in my signature.
You could try flushing her eye with saline to see if that helps, maybe she's got debris in it, but hard to know about that.

If you did see just a couple of bugs on her, I would go ahead and treat her for lice/mites. Here's a good article that will help you i.d. what you saw.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

I would re-check her crop first thing in the morning, if it's not empty, follow one of the articles linked in my signature.
You could try flushing her eye with saline to see if that helps, maybe she's got debris in it, but hard to know about that.

If you did see just a couple of bugs on her, I would go ahead and treat her for lice/mites. Here's a good article that will help you i.d. what you saw.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

thank you for the info! I do also want to add that I did hear her sneeze today. I spent about 15 minutes in the run with her and she sneezed a couple of times. I’m not sure if that changes anything but I will check her crop and treat for the parasites tomorrow

thank you for the info! I do also want to add that I did hear her sneeze today. I spent about 15 minutes in the run with her and she sneezed a couple of times. I’m not sure if that changes anything but I will check her crop and treat for the parasites tomorrow
Does she have any mucous or discharge from the nostrils?
I would see about the crop and monitor for consistent sneezing.
If she's sneezing fairly frequently, then she may have a respiratory illness. Depending on what it is, an antibiotic may be needed to help clear it up. Tylosin or a tetracycline would be good to use. You may be able to order online, some meds seem to be hit and miss whether they have them in stock or not.

When you check her crop in the morning, take a look inside her beak too just to make sure there's no yellow/white pasty material or lesions.

Jedd's https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
All Birds https://allbirdproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-generic

I see I never updated this thread. I took the hen to two vets. Neither one really knowing what it could be. She did end up passing unfortunately. I wish I could say I found out why in case anyone is searching for an answer to a hen they have that’s acting the same way. I did find out after the fact that there is a place that completes necropsy on hens near me so if it happens again I’ll make sure to send her in and see if I can figure out what’s happening to my hens.

I see I never updated this thread. I took the hen to two vets. Neither one really knowing what it could be. She did end up passing unfortunately. I wish I could say I found out why in case anyone is searching for an answer to a hen they have that’s acting the same way. I did find out after the fact that there is a place that completes necropsy on hens near me so if it happens again I’ll make sure to send her in and see if I can figure out what’s happening to my hens.
Thank you for the update.
I'm sorry that she died.
Good idea to have a necropsy if you lose another with similar symptoms, glad you found out where you can have that done.

Back
Top Bottom