Hen started crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SugarDuck, Jun 20, 2010.

1. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    We have an SLW hen who started crowing today when our only rooster ( White Leghorn ) started learning to crow only a few days ago. He would sound out and then she started to do it. She is the biggest hen and has ran the yard for a while. However, she won't be old enough to lay until August. I've read on here that some hens will crow in the absence of a roo but will one do it as well as the rooster? Or do I have a SLW rooster and not a hen. Is this normal?

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Sence you have a rooster already, I don't think you have a hen. I think it's a rooster

3. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    I' ve had a few hens that crowed, but they were atleast three or four years old. I actually named this little bantam leghorn, Crowing hen, because she crowed on and off for the rest of her life and stil laid eggs. And I've had roosters everytime I've had a hen crow. I've had three hens crow, one leghorn, white cochin and my old araucana hen.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I thought it was a display of dominance. She has run the yard, and now her dominant spot is in jeopardy, so maybe she is trying to assert her dominance over him. Just a thought.

5. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I have about three hens who crow, and we have a rooster. A pic might help [​IMG]

6. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    Quote:ditto,
    I think you might have a roo, I have never heard of a hen that crowed so early.

7. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
  8. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

ive had a hen start crowing, but this seems a little too early

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That looks like a cockerel to me. Crowing would be pretty normal for that boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by