Hen still anemic: Anything else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by billmac, Oct 19, 2011.

1. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    White Leghorn, first laying cycle. Pale, floppy comb, missing feathers on stomach area. Didn't see lice or mites, but dusted with pymethrin, twice. It's been over a week, and no improvement. Still lethargic and pale. What else can I do? What else could it be? How often can I dust her? None of the other hens (19) seem affected.

Thanks

2. billmac

Apr 10, 2009
    Is there some kind of wormer I can get for their waterer?

3. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    If she eats well I would feed her liver. Liver is a iron builder, it will help her anemia. Raw our cooked its up to you but if shes sick I would cook it.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Is she broody? Pale comb, lethargic, missing stomach feathers- sounds like she may be a broody.

5. billmac

Apr 10, 2009
    Broody? Possibly. She spends all her time in the nest box. Why would broodiness cause those symptoms?

Thanks

6. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Broodys usually dont eat or drink very much. sometimes you need to kick them out of the nest box for them to eat or drink. I know mine eat really fast like someone push the FF button when kicked out because they want back to their nest.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Combs get pale when the bird is not actively laying, which broodies tend to not do because they are busy trying to hatch. The feathers are missing because she has pulled them out in an effort to create brood patches, which are bare patches of skin that transmit heat to her eggs. And the lethargy is not lethargy per se, but her desire to hatch eggs, so she stays seated on her nest until she has eggs hatch and will only leave the nest once a day to eat, drink, and poop. The duration of broodiness can vary widely.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by