Hen still loosing weight after tapeworm cure

Mrs Wick

Songster
Feb 18, 2019
Europe
When my big eater red little hen became listless and didn't jump at the food anymore, I started looking for treatment.
Antibiotics amoxicillin : no effect
Dewormed with Biaminthic at high dose (active on crop worms ans ascaridiae) : no effect
Dewormed with Teniverm, which kills tapeworms too : I found 2 tapeworms of 7cm.

I thought she was going to get better. Unfortunately, she doesn't.
She is still listless, and each morning her weight is lower (from 1400g to 945g).
She comes to the feeder but can't eat.
From the beginning her crop is always a little filled, I massage it every day.

Can you help her ?

One more inormation :
AFTER the tapeworms had been expulsed, her poops became filled with undigested food.
BEFORE the treatment, her poops were bright green.

I hope someone can help.

I've just found a good vitamin for chickens maybe you could try this it's called avivit poultry tonic

The products you are using have levamisole and praziquntel, both of which which treat tapeworms. The levamisole must be given several times at the correct dosage. The praziquantel is given once and repeated in 10-14 days, I believe. Then an owner has to keep droppings cleaned up, and remove the intermediate hosts, such as worms, beetles, snails and slugs, grasshoppers, and flies. Those intermediate hosts contain the tapeworm larvae, and if eaten again, reinfect the chickens.

Your chicken could have other issues that are causing her problems. She may have some intestinal damage from worms or enteritis. Crop problems and reproductive disorders can also be common. If you have a vet who could perform a gram stain and a gram stain to look for other types of worms, coccidiosis, or enteritis.

Check the crop early in the morning before she eats to see if her crop has emptied. Make sure that she has granite poultry grit available to help grind her foods in the gizzard. If she no longer lays eggs, there may be a reproductive disorder.

She stopped laying a week days before becoming listless.
Her crop is never empty in the morning, it is always slighty full.
As she doesn't eat, just 4 corns, and the wet crisbreag I feed her, I think there is something stuck, but I don't feel any object

Back
Top Bottom