Hen still not laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenluver555, Sep 2, 2013.

1. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have three Easter Egger hens. I got them all from the same hatchery when they were just a few days old. Two of them started laying at 19 weeks, but now they are 25 weeks old and the third one still isn't laying! There have been no signs of "squatting" or anything. Why isn't she like her sisters?[/FONT]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I trust they are all three hens. You should be able to clearly tell a rooster by now.

Do you have siblings or cousins? Are you exactly like them? From a hatchery, those hens are probably not even half-sisters genetically, but are more likely cousins.

Chickens are individuals. They are all different, even full sisters. I’ve had pullets start to lay at 16 weeks. I’ve had some wait 9 months to start. What you are describing is not at all unusual. They will lay when they lay.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I agree with Ridgerunner, all pullets mature at different rates. They will lay when their bodies are mature enough.

4. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Okay cool. Now I'm not as worried. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by