Hen still sick??? Newbie getting worn out, need advice...

chickens4pet

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 16, 2012
Hello all,

I've done so much reading and am so tired of worrying and not being able to do the right thing for my hen! What is going on??? I think my question has to do both with diagnosis and with worming.

Thank you for all of the great info posted on the forum, which has been so helpful in our first year of chickens. We have four (however, one turned out to be a rooster) - two Welsummers and two Australorps. Don't know if it's the breed or the hatchery, but the two BAs have been healthy, healthy, healthy.

Seems like the sweetest, friendliest hen always has the issue. At 9 months (month: February) one of the Welsummers fell sick. After her first 3 weeks of great laying and beautiful eggs, she laid two soft-shelled eggs in a row and was not eating or drinking. Also had respiratory symptoms (rattle). She gaped a few times. Looked down her throat and didn't see anything. But best I could tell from the web it was infectious bronchitis (strongest possibility anyway) or gapeworm. ??

I was sure she was a goner, she felt sooo bad and then got so weak. Besides supportive care, gave Wazine (she had never been wormed) and then, somewhat in desperation, Ivomec pour-on drops on her skin. Eventually she recovered, I think mostly from discovering I could finally get water in her through her favorite treat, watermelon, saturated in nutri-drench. Thanks to someone on here for the idea!

She was well enough to go back outside after about 2 1/2 weeks of care, but occasionally heard a very thick, loose, phlemy congestion as she got better - concluded it had probably been the virus (or some other infection).

While she was inside, the other chickens had gotten Wazine. Didn't see any worms coming out. Four weeks later (because of shipping) we followed up with a round of Flubenvet for all. That is supposed to handle everything, and is designed for chickens. Also changed the sand in the coop.

For the past 8 weeks, this hen is still ailing. She gets better, then not well again - whether sneezing, runny nose, not moving around much. I worry some more and read some more and give her support, and she gets better again. Still no eggs, although the rooster mates her, and she sits to lay. She is still light as feathers/skin and bones. I've thought of changing feed to soy-free. Yesterday and today, she has been gaping (first time since she was very sick 8 weeks ago) and is pale. That, it seems, I should do something about.

The other Welsummer has foamy yellow caecal pooh, and I think I see little white worms. Caecal worms? This Welsummer has sometimes had nasal discharge and sneezes too, but she is a tough customer and has a nice solid body, and seems to do okay. But *How Could They Still Have Worms??* With the spring rains they are eating earthworms galore. Makes me not able to rule out worms for the sick Welsummer. She is poohing runny, watery pooh and sometimes mucous. The BAs pooh beautiful, white-capped solid pooh.

What is going on??? What should I do for her? Will she ever get better and be her happy self? Will she ever lay eggs again? Gee it just helps to vent..... Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Hello all,

I've done so much reading and am so tired of worrying and not being able to do the right thing for my hen!  What is going on???  I think my question has to do both with diagnosis and with worming.

Thank you for all of the great info posted on the forum, which has been so helpful in our first year of chickens.  We have four (however, one turned out to be a rooster) - two Welsummers and two Australorps.  Don't know if it's the breed or the hatchery, but the two BAs have been healthy, healthy, healthy.

Seems like the sweetest, friendliest hen always has the issue.  At 9 months (month: February) one of the Welsummers fell sick.  After her first 3 weeks of great laying and beautiful eggs, she laid two soft-shelled eggs in a row and was not eating or drinking.  Also had respiratory symptoms (rattle).  She gaped a few times.  Looked down her throat and didn't see anything.  But best I could tell from the web it was infectious bronchitis (strongest possibility anyway) or gapeworm. ??

I was sure she was a goner, she felt sooo bad and then got so weak.  Besides supportive care, gave Wazine (she had never been wormed) and then, somewhat in desperation, Ivomec pour-on drops on her skin.  Eventually she recovered, I think mostly from discovering I could finally get water in her through her favorite treat, watermelon, saturated in nutri-drench. Thanks to someone on here for the idea!

She was well enough to go back outside after about 2 1/2 weeks of care, but occasionally heard a very thick, loose, phlemy congestion as she got better - concluded it had probably been the virus (or some other infection). 

While she was inside, the other chickens had gotten Wazine. Didn't see any worms coming out.  Four weeks later (because of shipping) we followed up with a round of Flubenvet for all.  That is supposed to handle everything, and is designed for chickens. Also changed the sand in the coop.

For the past 8 weeks, this hen is still ailing.  She gets better, then not well again - whether sneezing, runny nose, not moving around much.  I worry some more and read some more and give her support, and she gets better again.  Still no eggs, although the rooster mates her, and she sits to lay. She is still light as feathers/skin and bones.  I've thought of changing feed to soy-free.  Yesterday and today, she has been gaping (first time since she was very sick 8 weeks ago) and is pale. That, it seems, I should do something about.

The other Welsummer has foamy yellow caecal pooh, and I think I see little white worms. Caecal worms?  This Welsummer has sometimes had nasal discharge and sneezes too, but she is a tough customer and has a nice solid body, and seems to do okay. But *How Could They Still Have Worms??*  With the spring rains they are eating earthworms galore.  Makes me not able to rule out worms for the sick Welsummer. She is poohing runny, watery pooh and sometimes mucous.  The BAs pooh beautiful, white-capped solid pooh. 

What is going on??? What should I do for her?  Will she ever get better and be her happy self?  Will she ever lay eggs again?  Gee it just helps to vent..... Thanks for any words of wisdom.
I don't know how you can help her but it sounds like she knows you are fighting for her, and it sounds like she is trying to fight back. What will happen I can't say but maybe someone will pop up with some helpful advice. Don't beat yourself up you are a good chicken mom. Hope she will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom