hen stopped laying

dianek

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 6, 2011
My 2 yr old RR who has been a prolific layer has quit laying in about a week and now seems to be slowing down and is having trouble flying up to roost. I am new to chickens and don't know what to do. I need help. She is my favorite and I don't want to lose her. How do I know what to look for? I have heard something about being egg bound?

Thanks, Diane

Quote:
Welcome to BYC.
Yes, it's possible she could be eggbound. It's not uncommon for a 2 year old hen to slow down laying though. Place your hen in a container with warm water filled half way up her sides. Gently massage her underside for about 20 minutes while she's in the water. The warm water will expand her innards, massaging her helps move the egg along. Next put a disposable plastic glove on and put some olive oil on your finger and insert it into her vent feeling for any obstructions or debris. Remove your finger and put some olive oil around her vent area. By inserting your finger into her vent it helps stretch and lube the interior to help the egg pass through the lubed vent. Good luck.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
she may be egg bound. but i realy dont know i dont every keep a chicken for more than 2 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom