Hen straining to pass something weird (graphic picture)

I was not able to get the prolapsed tissue to stay in, and parts were turning black. I took her to the vet, and he removed the necrotic tissue and put in a purse string suture. He found some significant swelling, which could be from a tumor or trauma to the area. He also found that she has a fairly severe roundworm infestation. So, she is now on the mend and feeling much better. The purse string comes out today, and hopefully everything will stay inside.

Great to hear she's doing well and you have a solution in place. Best wishes.

Quote: Well, I have no personal experience with it, but did a little search. Some say fungal infection, some say viral, some say yeast. Some say common, some say uncommon. Not one site agreed on what it is. Here's one site I found with info on it (which I can't vouch for):
Quote: I might do a few web searches on it if I were you, and stick with whatever info you think sounds right. Prominent sites of good authority on poultry issues disagreed on this topic and I don't know who's right.

Best wishes.

There is a site written by a vet that says gleet can be caused by parasites, bacteria infections and fungal infections. I'll see if I can find it.

-Kathy

It seems 'gleet' is just a catch-all word for the symptoms. Which is a potential issue because treatment for different things may of course differ. But casportpony's good for informative links. She can probably give you some relevant ones.

I found a vet's site on my previous search which had so many strangely conflicting snippets of info I didn't share the link... But I guess I'll share it just in case.
Quote:
Best wishes.

Thanks to all. I'll be checking that website later tonight. I have learned so much from all you BYCer's!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom