1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen submitting to ME!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buff-Island-Australorp, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    The title sounds rather disgusting, huh???[​IMG]
    One of my 9 hens froze and squated for me yesterday evening. I've never witnessed it before since I'm only in my 18th week of chicken keeping. But after reading up on the forum here for several weeks now, I immediately knew what was going on.
    When I got home from work moments ago, I went in to the run, and she was very nosey as to what I was doing in there and constantly bawk bawk bawking. She wouldn't shut up!!!! The other 8 ran for safety in the coop. I reached down to touch her, and see if she'd squat again, and she hit the dirt faster than Bin Laden did when we finally got him!!! I just sat there and petted her for a few seconds. When I stopped and stood up, she continued to sit there, and looked at me as to say...."THAT'S ALL YOU GOT?"
    Finally, she came to, and began looking for a cigarette.[​IMG]

Anyway, I just wanted to share my official "first egg countdown".

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] only one of my hens does that to me [​IMG]

3. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    SWEET! Congrats! you are definitely due some eggs within the next few weeks. [​IMG]

4. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Do you have a rooster? We do not and several of my hens and even a pullet or two will do that...I get that same look when I am done petting them a bit. They walk away very unsatisfied...poor little things. However, I do not plan on getting a rooster...so it is all they get, a little back scratch!

Getting your first egg will be soooo fun. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Nope, no rooster for me. I guess the chickens think I'm ROOSTER enough for them.

6. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    2 of mine are doing that. It's funny to me, I just give them a pat and say "thank you for the eggs". [​IMG]

Oh, and I now get 2 eggs per day. My other 2 hens don't squat yet, so I'm assuming it's the two squatters who are giving up the eggs [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    2 of mine do that and after they first started, got eggs within the week.

8. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I've heard some people will give their girls a pat on the bum and they'll walk off.

In my opinion you should at least buy her dinner first!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by