Hen suddenly died

kscarter222

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
Hi all. I am new to owning chickens. Today one of my hens looked "sleepy" and wouldn't eat the tuna I was offering. The others went crazy for it. I could tell she didn't feel well. A few hours later we found her dead in the run. No signs of trauma. I have no idea! Any suggestions? I am concerned about the rest of the flock being " infected". Many thanks!

So very sorry to hear this. It would be nearly impossible to diagnose what happened with her without knowing more, and despite this we'd be guessing. Can you consider getting her in for a necropsy? It will help you understand what happened, and possibly help the rest of your flock. Some states do it for free, or for a minimal fee. Where do you live? If you want to do a necropsy, put her in the refrigerator (NOT the freezer!!) and call around as soon as possible. It'd ideal to get her in within a day or two if you can.
Some avian vets can also preform a gross necropsy for you.

If you are unable to afford a necropsy, you can attempt to do one yourself. Are you familiar with chicken anatomy? There are some threads here that can help you if you search 'necropsy'.

I inspected all the hens. The Orpington that died and the two other Orps have quite a lice infestation. The feathers around their vent areas are encrusted with eggs. That may be the cause. Not sure. I am not going the necropsy route just yet. I have the powder and will dust them all tonight. Thanks for your advice.

As I was dusting all the hens, I found this. Somehow missed her during inspection for lice this morning. Any idea? The yellowish portion ather lower vent is "attached" to her body. Almost looks like her vent is rotting. All the other girls are nice and pink.

Back
Top Bottom