Young hen suddenly died.

Jaceyschram

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2023
My head hen, about 6 months old, was dead in the coop this morning. It seems like she had just fallen off her roost and never got up-- she was flat on her back. Yesterday I noticed she was in the coop on her roost most of the day, and wouldn't even eat her favorite treat when offered to her. I figured she may be getting ready to start laying (she hadn't yet) and was maybe just feeling off? Before yesterday she seemed completely normal-- sitting on my leg and eating from my hand, running around, eating/drinking, etc. She's so friendly that I look her over often and gave her a good look yesterday when she was acting off. No lice/mites, no injuries, good weight, no missing feathers. Any ideas about why she suddenly died?

It's worth mentioning that I've also lost two roosters this year from unknown causes. Both were about 6-8 months and were lethargic for about a week before dying. One died on its own and the other we had to put down so it wouldn't suffer longer. These both happened months apart.

No off-looking poops in the coop, they free range all day in a safe area, have gentle heat in their coop at night, eat small batch organic high quality feed, and have fresh water.

I'm sorry to hear about your pullet.

It's hard to know why one suddenly dies unless a necropsy is performed. Since you've lost a couple of others to something unknown, it would be a good idea to send the pullet's body to your state lab so you can get more information.
Wrap the body in plastic and keep it refrigerated, so you can send it in.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

My head hen, about 6 months old, was dead in the coop this morning. It seems like she had just fallen off her roost and never got up-- she was flat on her back. Yesterday I noticed she was in the coop on her roost most of the day, and wouldn't even eat her favorite treat when offered to her. I figured she may be getting ready to start laying (she hadn't yet) and was maybe just feeling off? Before yesterday she seemed completely normal-- sitting on my leg and eating from my hand, running around, eating/drinking, etc. She's so friendly that I look her over often and gave her a good look yesterday when she was acting off. No lice/mites, no injuries, good weight, no missing feathers. Any ideas about why she suddenly died?

It's worth mentioning that I've also lost two roosters this year from unknown causes. Both were about 6-8 months and were lethargic for about a week before dying. One died on its own and the other we had to put down so it wouldn't suffer longer. These both happened months apart.

No off-looking poops in the coop, they free range all day in a safe area, have gentle heat in their coop at night, eat small batch organic high quality feed, and have fresh water.
I am not saying the heat killed your chickens but why do you provide them with heat at night? At 6 months old, they can take cold temps. I'm talking for healthy chickens. My girls are 7 weeks old and have been off the heat lamp for 3 weeks now. We get down to the 20's F overnight and they are perfectly fine. Just something to think about

I am not saying the heat killed your chickens but why do you provide them with heat at night? At 6 months old, they can take cold temps. I'm talking for healthy chickens. My girls are 7 weeks old and have been off the heat lamp for 3 weeks now. We get down to the 20's F overnight and they are perfectly fine. Just something to think about
It's a gentle heat source that only comes on at 32 Fahrenheit and shuts off at 40. Not intense like the heat lamps.

Back
Top Bottom