Hen suddenly unable to walk, blind, toes curled

Caitthechickenfriend

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2019
West central FL
My 7 year old mixed breed hen who has been amazingly healthy and laying suddenly yesterday morning was unable to stand and curled toes. Her legs do not appear to have injuries and there is nothing swollen. She also cannot see. Comb is good color and she will take food if I put it into her beak and liquids by syringe. Her wings started drooping last night and I noticed her neck is held in a slightly off posture.
Yesterday morning I gave 1/2cc of Rooster Booster for stress, syringed her water and offered food (before I realized she was completely blind). Last night she drank water and also dilute rooster booster on her own once I got a small amount to her mouth. I hand fed her scrambled eggs. Her typical diet right now in Florida is feather fixer with scratch snd mealworm treats and she free ranges on a fenced 1/3 acre during the day. All other chickens are normal except this AM one was sneezing a little. Of course yesterday we isolated our sick gal immediately and she has no stress in her environment. I have no chicken vets for any reasonable distance so I cannot get her vet care. The only one moved and it would be hours and hours in a car for her each way. thanks
E5466839-26E9-41B7-B581-8F0C7D098942.jpeg
160A5A7E-4BC5-4B86-AD0A-6503AD7EAB49.jpeg
1FE396A0-579E-4CD2-874F-33ECDFE8B1EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Could she have been bitten by some venomous snake or critter?
Oh I didn’t think about that. I looked her over but this is FL and we have tiny poisonous things. They are on an open 1/3 acre during the day- fenced to keep them in and larger critters out but a snake or smaller critter could easily pass and Poppy is my number one hunter.

Back
Top Bottom