Hen taking care of her babies

How long has she been broody? She might stay, but if it's been for a couple of weeks already, she may quit before the eggs hatch. You just never know how it's going to go.

x 2 .. I was just typing all that and deleted it :)

If you are wanting a broody, you could get her and wait until next time she goes broody and try then, but the mention of them only raising the chicks for a couple of days is a little concerning and as previously hinted, while she is a good broody, she may not be a good mumma :idunno

x 2 .. I was just typing all that and deleted it :)

If you are wanting a broody, you could get her and wait until next time she goes broody and try then, but the mention of them only raising the chicks for a couple of days is a little concerning and as previously hinted, while she is a good broody, she may not be a good mumma :idunno
Aww!! I work and can't take care of them myself. :(

Bonus for you, sad to me, selling pets?
Not all chickens are viewed as pets. Sometimes it's necessary for good flock management to move some birds on if the owner is getting new ones.
For over a month now.
This makes me a little leery. Are you sure she's broody and not sick? I wouldn't put eggs under her right away. Being broody takes a bit out of a hen. She loses condition from sitting for so long and may be prone to mites. I'd check her over real well. If you want her to raise chicks, and if she stays broody for at least 3 days once you get her, maybe you could get her some 1-3 day old chicks from a farm store or something.

Not all chickens are viewed as pets. Sometimes it's necessary for good flock management to move some birds on if the owner is getting new ones.

This makes me a little leery. Are you sure she's broody and not sick? I wouldn't put eggs under her right away. Being broody takes a bit out of a hen. She loses condition from sitting for so long and may be prone to mites. I'd check her over real well. If you want her to raise chicks, and if she stays broody for at least 3 days once you get her, maybe you could get her some 1-3 day old chicks from a farm store or something.
Well dang!! I've wanted these for SOOO long!!! I don't want them to be sick! I don't quarantine any of my new birds. I know many people say I should but I don't. I don't keep them separate or anything til they get used to one another. My birds are extremely laid back and ive never had a problem with adding new birds automatically.

Back
Top Bottom