hen that crows

mamaguigan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Pittsfield
I have 5 hens, and every morning around 5:30 one of the ladies cockadoodledoos for about 20 minutes!! We thought it was the little neighbor boy because it sounds fake, but I just caught her in the act!! How abnormal is this??

I have a GLW that started crowing about a month ago. I thought she was sick. I was totally freaked out. Stretched her neck out and made the most god awful sound. She was acting fine, so I just started watching her. Yesterday, I went out with grain for the cows. The chickens saw the red can and just knew it must be treat for them. Everyone ran to the fence. When I walked past, the GLW made her weird sound. I stopped and 'doodled' back at her. Sure enough, she doodles again, and then again, just in case I hadn't heard her. When she realized I wasn't going to give her any treats, she went back to scratching and trying to catch bugs. I have heard that when there are no roosters, some hens will adopt rooster behavoirs. My DH made some inappropriate remarks about her sexual orientation, but I think it's cute. She isn't sick, just crowing.......

I have a silky hen that crowed a few times but continues to do the rooster dance and also flattens out like a hen
ep.gif

She does lay eggs and does go broody just like her sister but is definately a mix of both sexes in her behaviour.
Of course, she is my favourite.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom