Hen that died - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PrairieFarmer, May 9, 2011.

1. PrairieFarmer

PrairieFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Noticed a sick looking hen yesterday and put her in a separate cage last night and she was dead this morning.
    She was a 4 year old Buckeye hen. Saw her laying in a corner yesterday behind the feed cans, picked her up and she felt real skinny. She might have been their a while - I've had a lot of personal family drama lately so haven't been keeping a real close eye on the birds, just feeding and watering them. I let her walk around a bit and her tail feathers were all downward and she seemed kinda hunched. Laid down pretty quick. Saw her do one runny liquidy greenish/yellow poop. No obvious injuries.
    This morning she was dead and looked like some mucus (although not a lot) in the airholes on her beak. I didn't see any mucous their last night.
    All my other birds seem fine.
    Any thoughts?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Greenish/yellow poop usually indicates a bad infection. There's no telling what it is. Perhaps if you had a necropsy done on her, that would let you know what you're dealing with. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by