Hen that doesn't lay

Goshen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
Hollywood, SC
Hello,

I'm new to raising chickens and wanted to start with hens rather than chicks. I purchased two Dominiques two weeks ago. They were supposed to be 6 months old. This past week one of them has been displaying a lot of signs of being a rooster. She (HE) has developed longer tail feathers, a more prominent comb, and he has begun crowing. My wife has seen him having his way with the other hens. OK, buyer beware. I'll assume responsibility for that. I believe the other Dominique is a hen, but she hasn't laid yet.

Also, I purchased three other hens a week ago, a Golden Comet, a Black Sex-Link, and a Partridge Wyandotte. These hens are about a year old. The Golden Comet and Black Sex-Link are laying, but the Wyandotte isn't. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for why the Dominique hen and the Wyandotte hen are not laying and what I can do to encourage them?

My wife and I are truely enjoying this. We love to watch the chickens from our kitchen window and give them treats, etc. Today I took the flock out of their chicken tractor and put them in the garden while I was doing some Spring cleaning.

Thanks for any feedback.

Goshen

Moving birds can stress them and cause them to stop laying. Even if they laid a few eggs after the move and then stopped that is normal because the eggs were in the process of being laid prior to the move.

Just feed, water, and let them get settled in. I am sure you will have all the eggs you need soon.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. We'll give them a few weeks and see what happens. We're getting two eggs a day now and if the other hens start laying we should average about four a day.

We're fine with keeping the rooster too, providing he doesn't cause any problems. We live in a rural area so the crowing won't be an issue.

Goshen

Back
Top Bottom