Hen throwing leakage, but what about her daughters?

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
I have a black Araucana hen that throws gold leakage in the saddle feathers of her cockerels about 75% of the time. She herself does not show any leakage. She blessed me with a few really nice daughters this summer, two black and one mottled, and like their mother they do not show any signs of leakage. What are the odds those daughters will throw leakage as well? Their father does not show any leakage (he is black and lightly mottled), and I plan to breed the pullets back to him this coming summer. I know test breeding is the only way to know for sure, but if somebody has experience with this I would love to know your outcome as I'd like to avoid any unnecessary hatches. Thanks!

This is Mama:
thumbnail_20181130_131955.jpg

From what I have learned from friends, and my own flock is that the leakage will only show up in the male offspring, females will be carriers.
I am assuming that the cock(the pullets father) is also a carrier of the gene, so anything you hatch out of him and the pullets will most likely be carriers or show the gene

From what I have learned from friends, and my own flock is that the leakage will only show up in the male offspring, females will be carriers.
I am assuming that the cock(the pullets father) is also a carrier of the gene, so anything you hatch out of him and the pullets will most likely be carriers or show the gene
Wouldn’t he show leakage then if he carried the gene?

I should have mentioned this hen has thrown the same type of chicks with a different cockbird; that is why I'm blaming her. Regardless, here is a picture of this year's chicks' sire:
VideoCapture_20191220-144403.jpg
20191220_145047.jpg
20191221_085612.jpg

(That is shine in his hackle. He has no leakage.)

I sold off the cockerels that had the leakage, and don't have pictures. It is the color of gold in a golden duckwing's saddle feathers, but not heavy, maybe 5-6 gold feathers on each side. They NEVER have any leakage in the hackles or shoulders, which I think is odd.

Black hides all like white. There isn't any telling of what genetics lie underneath until you mate, and test mate them.

If your saying only that one hen's offspring have leakage and every other hen with same sire don't then yes, you'd be right to blame her. If you are only mating pairs then the leakage in offspring from two related cocks over same dam doesn't pinpoint who's the problem or if it's inherent with the line itself.

Culling like you did is the obvious thing to do. Keep notes, and if you haven't already, eventually you'll track the root cause.

I have a black Araucana hen that throws gold leakage in the saddle feathers of her cockerels about 75% of the time. She herself does not show any leakage. She blessed me with a few really nice daughters this summer, two black and one mottled, and like their mother they do not show any signs of leakage. What are the odds those daughters will throw leakage as well? Their father does not show any leakage (he is black and lightly mottled), and I plan to breed the pullets back to him this coming summer. I know test breeding is the only way to know for sure, but if somebody has experience with this I would love to know your outcome as I'd like to avoid any unnecessary hatches. Thanks!

This is Mama:
View attachment 1999492
She has a rusty red rim on one of her feathers on her wing. Zoom into the wing? She's transferring the red pigment to her male offspring.

Back
Top Bottom