Hen throwing up clear brownish liquid

maizy'smom

Songster
May 15, 2011
Philadelphia suburbs
Sorry if this is a common question being asked for the millionth time, but I'm kind of too panicked to read through previous posts. I just went out to talk to my girls, and Myrtle (2yr old DLB) just threw up about a table spoon of a clear brownish liquid....(WARNING: kinda gross) that she very quickly re-ate, and so did Prudence (2yr old BBCM). Neither one is/has been acting sickly. Both been laying 5-6 eggs a week, even today. Both their combs are nice and bright red......I'm just baffled and a little worried. Any clues?

If they are acting fine in all other ways I wouldn't worry too much. She may have just drank a lot of water and the crop was very full. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had access to food or water, to make sure it's empty then. If it is then all is likely working properly and she just drank a lot of water.

I would just do some checking to see if her crop feels puffy or if you smell a bad or sour odor around her beak. If her crop is full and firm or puffy now, then recheck it first thing in the morning to see that it has emptied and is flat. If not, I would do some research on sour and impacted crops.

Yes, take a sniff in her mouth. Feel her crop. Does it feel like, weird like a water balloon or filled with air? And make sure crops are empty in the morning before they eat. I went thru sour crop and it was terrible.

Thanks to all! Myrtle has always had an issue with impacted crop, starting the day after she was born/delivered(by the mail man). She and Prudence are two years old and we are in the process of integrating them with the three new girlies(14 week olds). So, it could easily be an establishing-the-pecking-order over-eating issue. "This is mine, and This is mine..." etc. Hopefully she is just being a piggy and over-eating. But I will definitely keep an eye on her (and take a sniff, if needed.)

Back
Top Bottom