1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen to Rooster hatching ratio

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sweetshoplady, Feb 5, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I hope this is in the right place

Is it a 50/50 chance of an egg being a rooster or a hen or are hens more common?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

50/50

Sometimes better luck than others, but ultimately 50/50

3. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:I guess I was lucky when my husband and I moved to the property we are on there was a hen w/ 10 babies (she hatched them herself) that were left when we got here. There were 8 females and 2 males out of the 10. Guess I was lucky.

I am getting some eggs from Dipsy, Eggchel and from an ebay auction I won. I am hoping (keeping fingers crossed) that there will be more females than males.

Kim

4. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Last spring i hatched out 7 eggs i got 5 roos and 2 hens. Then the same hen went broody and she had 9 eggs and hatched 5 roos and 4 hens. Same roo for both batchs. On the second batch i was able to tell what they were after a week old by the color and pattern of the chicks.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    50/50 over time or in large numbers. It's an average and can vary greatly in smal samples.
    I once got 3 dozen Bantam R I Red eggs. They hatched great- 33 of the 36 hatched.............

29 Cockerels and 4 Pullets.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes, averages over big numbers... I hatched out 18 leghorns once. 50/50.... then hatched out 6 silkies... 5 boys!!!!! :eek:

7. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    LOL, NYREDS on 29 cockerels. Yep, it's just like a coin toss, a 50/50 chance each toss. It's possible to toss that coin and come up with heads 20 times in a row. Not likely, but possible.

I will add this: there's been some talk on other boards about nutrition playing a role. Because, apparently, there's some evidence that well-fed hens produce slightly more female offspring. Now, don't quote me on that. I only remember seeing it discussed a bit. Maybe someone else knows more about it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by