Hen to Rooster hatching ratio

Quote:
I guess I was lucky when my husband and I moved to the property we are on there was a hen w/ 10 babies (she hatched them herself) that were left when we got here. There were 8 females and 2 males out of the 10. Guess I was lucky.

I am getting some eggs from Dipsy, Eggchel and from an ebay auction I won. I am hoping (keeping fingers crossed) that there will be more females than males.

Kim

Last spring i hatched out 7 eggs i got 5 roos and 2 hens. Then the same hen went broody and she had 9 eggs and hatched 5 roos and 4 hens. Same roo for both batchs. On the second batch i was able to tell what they were after a week old by the color and pattern of the chicks.

50/50 over time or in large numbers. It's an average and can vary greatly in smal samples.
I once got 3 dozen Bantam R I Red eggs. They hatched great- 33 of the 36 hatched.............

29 Cockerels and 4 Pullets.

LOL, NYREDS on 29 cockerels. Yep, it's just like a coin toss, a 50/50 chance each toss. It's possible to toss that coin and come up with heads 20 times in a row. Not likely, but possible.

I will add this: there's been some talk on other boards about nutrition playing a role. Because, apparently, there's some evidence that well-fed hens produce slightly more female offspring. Now, don't quote me on that. I only remember seeing it discussed a bit. Maybe someone else knows more about it.

Last edited:
I know this is an old post, but maybe i can add my experience

i live in zimbabwe and here it seems like hatching a rooster is the hardest thing. Not only to me but to almost all chicken keepers i know, the probability of getting a rooster out a hatch of 10 chicks is close to zero. Roosters here a very expensive and if you need 1 you will probably need an insane amount of money as compared to that you will get a hen for. The cash you pay to get a young rooster is enough to buy you about 4 full grown hens here.

I don't know why its like that but that's how it is here. And i myself wish to hatch a rooster someday because i have never hatched one before out of 7 successful. hatches i have had .

Back
Top Bottom