Hen Toys???

bardyrock15

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2016
Hi there, BYC.
I have tried hanging swings, CD's, bottles filled with food and poked holes in them, and our hens don't seem to be interested.
Any ideas?

We have a bale of straw in our run (left the wire on that is holding it together) and they jump on it, peck it, and scratch it. I turn it every week or two and they come running for all the bugs that congregate on/ under it. They never tire of it, and when they have pretty much shredded it, I take the wire off and they scratch it everywhere. It lasts a long time.

Hi there, BYC.
I have tried hanging swings, CD's, bottles filled with food and poked holes in them, and our hens don't seem to be interested.
Any ideas?
Maybe they're already adequately stimulated.
What does your coop and run look like, can you post some pics?

i know birds needs stimulation, especially caged birds.. but i also wonder if free range chickens needs toys and games.. or if they get enough scratching for bugs and such.. i know they "play" with me.. they peck at my toe nails [especially if i am wearing red polish] they peck at my buttons or snaps even pull my hair.. of course i think it is more food related instincts than play..

interested to see what other more experienced chicken owners find.. and possibly different breeds need more or less..

Free range chickens don't need toys.
Most chickens do seem to like swings, though. It's good for their balance.

I have a jungle gym for my girls, as a falling branch and a cut limb in their pen. That I cut and trimmed to make it safe. They walk on and under and roost on them.
GC

Back
Top Bottom