Hen tried to kill chicks... Updated: They both died.. =(

Poor little babies!! Who knows why hens do what they do?! I have one serama hen that hatched one baby out. When her chick was about 3 weeks old, I hatched a single cochin chick, I think it was from you, and it was so lonely, so I tried putting it with her and her chick and she accepted it with no problem. Then I had another single chick hatch 2 weeks later, it was actually just an early hatcher, the rest were due the next day, but it was crying, so I thought, I will stick it in with the mama hen, but she looked at that baby and promptly pecked it on the head! So I decided she had had enough of babies and took it back out.

Sending lots of
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
to your little ones from their siblings, many of whom look just like them! Give them a little
hugs.gif
from their brothers and sisters!
love.gif

awww poor babies. Well cut that hen off from being mama ever again.

Just give them some electrolytes and vitamins in their water or poly-vi sol WITHOUT iron 3 drops on the beak once a day to give them a boost and put some neosporin without pain reliver or any ingredient with CAINE in the name on there and I would make little gauze bonnets for them and see if they will leave them on for a day or so to start the healing process off well.

Oh wow. I'm trying to think of what you could use to cover their tiny heads. Those wounds need a dressing on them in addition to the ointment. Otherwise, the heat from the lamp will burn them, and dry out the wound, preventing healing. Might have to get creative here. Do you have any vet wrap or gauze? Would a bandaid's cushion part cover the areas that are exposed? Maybe a tiny bit of a 2x2 gauze pad to cover all exposed areas, and then open up a 2x2 to use as a gauze wrap, securing with tape, or a bandaid, or whatever you have.

You don't want them to start pecking at each other's head either.

Do you have any nurse or vet, or doctor friends? Anyone that works with home health? Anyone that could get you some gauze netting?? It's kinda like a sock, but both ends open, and stretchy. Don't want anything tight on them, but at the same time, not loose enough to fall off! Ugh!

Boil or scramble an egg to get some extra protein and vitamins into them to help with the healing.

ANyone know if a heating pad under them would work to keep them warm enough? Or know of any way to keep them warm without a heating lamp?

the non stick teflon pads would probably work the best. The ointment will help keep the dressing from sticking, but sometimes a regular gauze pad will still stick.

Sorry for the incomplete thoughts. Thinking out loud here, and trying to brain storm what would work. Perhaps something I write will trigger a thought with someone else.

How about a cut piece of panty hose over the antibiotic? The antibiotic would act as a glue to hold on the pantyhose piece.
You would have to keep checking it every few hours or so. But after a few days and the eye starts to get better the heads need to start drying out.

Last edited:
Those poor babies! Look like that hen definitely didn't want those chicks as hers. Have your put terramycin eye ointment on the chick whose eye is closed? Also I have never used it on a chick, but would anyone know if blu kote would be good on the wounds over the triple antibiotic (without pain reliever of course)? It would help protect the wound and keep moist without having to cover it.

I recently bought band-aid liquid bandage for a sore on the back of my heel that was having difficulty in healing. It's like a second skin. don't know if it would work on your chicks, but it's worth looking into?

best of luck. I feel for those babies of yours!

This is from the band aid wed site:

SINGLE STEP™ Liquid Bandage
One-step wound protection with no-sting liquid on convenient pre-moistened swab applicators. In minutes it forms an invisible, flexible seal that is 100% waterproof and protects from dirt and germs. SINGLE STEP™ Liquid Bandage

The Benefits of Liquid Bandage

Formula dries quickly and forms a clear, flexible, breathable seal
Creates an ideal environment for your body's natural healing process to begin
Does not sting
Stays on hard-to-cover places

I just luv luv luv those bandages but unfortunately with the wound being on the head I fear it would be difficult to apply (and keep on) seeing as how they move their heads so much in order to eat and drink.
Just remember to KEEP THE WOUND MOIST and keep them separate
Dont worry about applying gause etc but worry more bout keeping it moist ... gauze can be used to gently remove encustation that will hamper healing .
There is a product called GRANULEXV which truly is better for situations like this over neosporin
http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/granulex.htm

Quote:
Umm, no, sorry, do not agree with this. I have seen Granulex in use on people for years. It contains a tissue destroying agent, intended for necrotic (dead) tissue removal. This will also destroy the new tissue trying to grow and cover the wound.

My triple antibiotic ointment contains a pain reliever, but it is not a "caine" ingredient, it is actually a distant morphine relative, and is safe for chickens.

Neosporin is fine but there are other products out there just as good or maybe better. I have read that bag balm works well, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom