Hen trying to eat but can't

If the Epsom salt flush didnt clear up anything and after looking at the photo above, it would be in your interest to find a treatment for canker.

I know you're in Canada and it's tough to find medications for poultry. Perhaps looking online for pigeon medications might be an alternative source for you.
Here are some meds that will treat canker:
Metronidazole, Ronidazole, Dimetridazole, Secnidazole, Acidified Copper Sulfate.
My preference in this instance would be Acidified Copper Sulfate.
If you arnt able to locate it, Ronidazole would be my next choice followed by Metronidazole.

Finally, once a bird has canker, they are carriers for life. That means they can spread it via waterers to other chickens. It will also be ongoing treatment once a month for the infected bird with Acidified Copper Sulfate.
If you are able to obtain Acidified Copper Sulfate, it must be mixed in plastic containers and waterers, nothing made from metal.

Your final option, and my best option; would be in the best interest for the rest of my flock. Cull the infected bird and bury it deep far away from coops and pens.

awesome, thank you, i will !
Morning,

I did the epsom salt treatment for 2 days and for the past 3 days she's been on Vet RX. It seems that maybe the white in the back of her mouth went down slightly but she's still not happy. She will drink water but I'm not sure if she's eating. She tries but I guess it's sore. How long should I keep up the treatment or can I do both? Any other ideas?

Can you buy Acidified Copper Sulfate? If not, you're going to have to find an avian vet or a regular vet that sees birds in order to get the medications you need to treat the canker.
Otherwise, I recommend that you cull her.

Back
Top Bottom