Hen trying to eat but can't

CesHens

Hatching
Sep 11, 2023
I have a hen that up until a week ago was laying but now has stopped. I noticed she tries to eat but can't. She did have a foamy mouth for a couple days but that seems to have cleared up for the most part. I give her water, yogurt & olive oil by syringe. She sometimes open her mouth as if trying to breath but then goes back to normal. I can only describe it as this....when we have sore throats and it hurts to swallow and our tongues hurt....that's her. She is her normal self otherwise, still running around & flying at me for treats but just can't eat them. I notices some lumpy swelling around her lobes. Any ideas what it could be and at home treatments?

Welcome to BYC.
Open her mouth and look inside her mouth for lesions, small white splotches at the back of her mouth, mucus or saliva at the back of her throat or anything else out of the ordinary. Can you post a photo of her lobes?

Welcome to BYC.
Open her mouth and look inside her mouth for lesions, small white splotches at the back of her mouth, mucus or saliva at the back of her throat or anything else out of the ordinary. Can you post a photo of her lobes?
There are white lesions...looks like cauliflower on one side. I've started giving her small amounts of acv water & yogurt by syringe.

Attachments

• image0-15.jpeg
    image0-15.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 36
It could possibly be a yeast infection. If that's the case, mix one teaspoon Epsom Salts into one cup of water. Use a syringe without a needle and draw up 8ml of the mixture and give it to her orally 1/4ml at a time, 3 times a day for 3 days.

When you do this, cradle her in your forearm. With your free hand, grab the preloaded syringe. Then with your cradling hand/arm, use your thumb and finger to gently pull down on her wattles and her mouth will open. Then dose her orally with the 1/4ml Epsom Salt mixture and quickly release her wattles so she can swallow the liquid on her own.
If you dont quickly release her wattles, she could aspirate.
Practice this procedure a couple of times without actually dosing her until you get the hang of it.

Lets us know if the lesions have shrunk or disappeared after 3 days treatment. If not, we'll go another route.

It could possibly be a yeast infection. If that's the case, mix one teaspoon Epsom Salts into one cup of water. Use a syringe without a needle and draw up 8ml of the mixture and give it to her orally 1/4ml at a time, 3 times a day for 3 days.

When you do this, cradle her in your forearm. With your free hand, grab the preloaded syringe. Then with your cradling hand/arm, use your thumb and finger to gently pull down on her wattles and her mouth will open. Then dose her orally with the 1/4ml Epsom Salt mixture and quickly release her wattles so she can swallow the liquid on her own.
Practice this procedure a couple of times without actually dosing her until you get the hang of it.

Lets us know if the lesions have shrunk or disappeared after 3 days treatment. If not, we'll go another route.
OMG thank you. I will try this right now. Should I be concerned that she's not eating or drinking except what we can get in her?

Just make sure she has regular layer feed and freshwater to drink, nothing more. Stop all other treatments. If she's hungry enough, she'll eat on her own.
Once the yeast disappears, including saliva/mucus, she should be able to eat normally again.

Just make sure she has regular layer feed and freshwater to drink, nothing more. Stop all other treatments. If she's hungry enough, she'll eat on her own.
Once the yeast disappears, including saliva/mucus, she should be able to eat normally again.
Hi,

I've attached a picture of the inside of her mouth. We have done treatment for a day & a half now. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• image0-16.jpeg
    image0-16.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 34
Would you know of a home treatment for it? Being in Canada, it's hard to find the meds listed on the link. Right now we are on day 3 of the epsom salt treatment and I did read that acv may help. Any suggestions?

awesome, thank you, i will !

Back
Top Bottom