slime in chickens throat

Haru

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2024
Hello! i recently noticed that my hen had weird slime in her mouth and seemed very bothered by it. she had some trouble swallowing her food, but after she ate and a few minutes had passed she felt already a little better. Shes very active and behaves like a normal healthy chicken (besides the slime in her throat). i tried reading some articles and most claimed she might have a gapeworm or a throat infection. im taking her to the vet on friday, however i doubt any of the veterinarians will find anything. i dont have any bird experts anywhere close by and im afraid they dont really know how to handle chickens at all.

is there anything i can do to help my chicken by myself? i will take her to the vet regardless just to make sure. however id be glad recieve any advice. thank you in advance!

Look inside her mouth for small white splotches on the roof of her mouth toward the back of her mouth at the esophagus. It could be a yeast infection, or anything else out of the ordinary.

Do you have photos of the inside of her beak?

Did the slime or mucous disappear - did she swallow it?

Perhaps she had food stuck in her beak.
i wasnt able to take any pictures from inside her beak but with a little help i was able to look into it and from what ive seen its perfectly normal. no spots or anything :)

the mucous is completely gone for now. Sometimes she justs keeps her beak slightly opened

i first thought so too! but im not sure what she couldve eaten though? I had a chicken before who had some sickness with simular symptoms so im trying to be even more careful

Look inside her mouth for small white splotches on the roof of her mouth toward the back of her mouth at the esophagus. It could be a yeast infection, or anything else out of the ordinary.
thank you! i looked into her beak and it seemed all normal. however im not sure if theres nothing deeper in her throat that i cant see

She might have just eaten some slugs.

Sometimes even ducks overdo it and have problems to swallow with all the slug slime getting stuck in their throats.
that would also be a possibility for sure! i had a chicken who was ill before and the slime was one of her symptoms.

however my hen somehow seems perfectly normal, so it would explain the sticky slime. i will watch how it evolves and see if theres more to it or not.

thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom