Swollen Tongue and Throat

CeciliaSwift

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2021
My three month old baby chicken became sick very suddenly. Lethargic, wasn't eating or drinking, and lots of mucus in her mouth and throat. Took her to the vet. He said she was extremly sick. Gave her antibiotic pill (amoxicillian and clavulanate) and an antibiotic solution to be put into a nebulizer. She started to bounce back. Then she started regressing. Took her to the vet again and he said her tongue was white. He prescibed an additional antibiotic (Doxycycline). Now her neck is swollen and her tongue has swelled up and kinda yellow/brown in color. She still is eating well but with some difficulty swallowing. I don't think she is going to survive.

Could there have been a hair or tiny string that got wrapped around her tongue? Could you post any pictures? How old is the chick? Is there any history of pecking, fowl pox, canker in the flock?

Could there have been a hair or tiny string that got wrapped around her tongue? Could you post any pictures? How old is the chick? Is there any history of pecking, fowl pox, canker in the flock?
She is around 4 months old. She had been attached when she was tiny and left for dead. She was given to me and has been inside my house. I have to other 4 month old chickens who I raised. I was going to put them outside in the big coop with my other girls but I held off when "Little Bits" came down side. They have not been outside except a couple of times for a few minutes. She was running around playing with your two other buddies in the house. She all of sudden started coughing real bad around 5:00 pm. The next morning she was lethargic and wouldn't eat or drink. She had some much mucus in her mouth and throat. I have her seperated from the other two girls. Her tongue was fine until this past Monday/Tuesday. She went for a recheck at the vet and he said her tongue was white, which isn't good. It doesn't have anything wrapped around it. Yesterday we notice it looks swollen and kinda yellow/green/brown in color. The vet said we could do a biopsy, but I don't want to put her through that. I terrified she has cancer. If so, we will keep her comfortable as long as possible. She is such a sweet little girl.

Back
Top Bottom