Hen with swollen throat

Yes, I think she is dealing with canker, a protozoan infection common in pigeons.
How would she have caught it? The small wild birds have access to the run, but I’ve heard it’s spread through a water source, and their water is kept in the house. I guess it doesn’t really matter, I just want to keep it from happening again.
You can try to remove any cankers that you can see inside the beak if they are blocking her breathing. They can extend into the throat, esophagus, and invade the crop wall.
How would I remove the canker? Would it hurt her to do that?
It might be too late to save her, but you can start treatment and try. If she seems to be suffering at any time, putting her down might be an option. I just finished looking for the Aqua Zole or metronidazole online, and no one seems to have it now without a vet prescription. I usually see it at Allivet, chewy, and other places, but it is not available without a prescription. You could try getting it from your vet. @casportpony may know another way.
I see she found some, but thank you.

I’m assuming canker is transmissible between birds? How can I prevent the others from getting sick? I did separate her, but who knows how long she’s been sick. The others have all been exposed by this time.
Thank you, I’ll get some asap.

I would treat her for canker, but it's possible that it's not canker, but cancer, or maybe an abscess. Twice now, I've had one with tumors in their throats with pus like that. If she were mine, I would remove all of the pus and see what's underneath.

I would treat her for canker, but it's possible that it's not canker, but cancer, or maybe an abscess. Twice now, I've had one with tumors in their throats with pus like that. If she were mine, I would remove all of the pus and see what's underneath.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it was cancer, because her throat is so swollen. How do I remove the pus?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was cancer, because her throat is so swollen. How do I remove the pus?
Let us know how it goes. I have heard that cankers can bleed when removed, just so you expect that. If you should lose her, having your vet do a necropsy would be the best way to get a diagnosis, in case it is cancer or canker. Here is a list of state vet labs where you can call ahead, and know what to expect:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Let us know how it goes. I have heard that cankers can bleed when removed, just so you expect that. If you should lose her, having your vet do a necropsy would be the best way to get a diagnosis, in case it is cancer or canker. Here is a list of state vet labs where you can call ahead, and know what to expect:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
I tried to get it out with the tweezers, but it’s way too far back there to get it all. She was very patient, all things considered, but there’s only so much poking around one can do in a chicken’s mouth. I got some out, but I can’t get it all, or even most of it. There was only a little bleeding, and she didn’t act as if it hurt much.

Will the stuff shrink with the medicine? I imagine the medicine will kill it, and then it’ll fall off on its own? Or will it stay there? I think my main concern is keeping her alive until the medicine gets here, which should be within the week.

I asked this before, but didn’t get an answer. How do I prevent it from spreading to the others?? No one seems to be sick so far, and I actually went around the roost and smelled everyone’s beaks, a fact they were decidedly not happy about. I read about something you can put in the water, like acidified copper or something like that? Would that work, and if so, where can I find it?

Thanks so much for all of your help so far, it means a lot to me.

I have read about using acidified copper sulfate 1/4 tsp in each gallon of water for 3 days as a preventative for the others. Do not use in metal waterers. Never use copper sulfate unless it is acidified. Here is where to buy it online:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/acidified_copper_sulfate.html

I would disinfect all waterers and feeders. I’m sorry that it is hard to get at all of the canker. I have never treated it before, but the metronidazole is supposed to shrink the growths. @casportpony or others may have more advice.

I have read about using acidified copper sulfate 1/4 tsp in each gallon of water for 3 days as a preventative for the others. Do not use in metal waterers. Never use copper sulfate unless it is acidified. Here is where to buy it online:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/acidified_copper_sulfate.html

I would disinfect all waterers and feeders. I’m sorry that it is hard to get at all of the canker. I have never treated it before, but the metronidazole is supposed to shrink the growths. @casportpony or others may have more advice.
Thank you, I’ll try to find that as soon as possible. A feed store around here may have it, and that would be faster than waiting for it to ship.

I did separate her today, but a few hours later I found she’d hopped the partition and was in with my blind hen, who’s also separated. That’s the funny thing, she’s not super weak like I’d expect if she’s been sick for a while. Part of it is probably her faking it, but she did jump on the roost easily tonight. So there’s some hope, though after taking a good look at her mouth, I know it’s pretty slim. 🫤

Back
Top Bottom