HEN TRYING TO KILL CHICK!!!!!! CHICK IS HATCHING NOW!!!!!!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WhiteCochinLover, Feb 28, 2012.

1. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Broody hen is in the big pen with the rest of the chickens.... we found that a chick was peeping so we set up a dog kennel to put them in so we took the eggs and set them in the dog kennel in a nest and sat them hen near them so she would sit on them.... and she starts calling this really loud call to the rooster an he responded and she would not go on the eggs and started pecking the area where the chick was trying to hatch.... so I took here away and put her and the eggs back ing the nesting box in the coop and she was fine what is wrong? Will she kill the chick when it hatches? What should I do? PLEASE HELP FAST!

2. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    She probably didn't like being moved at that point, I'd guess. As far as the pecking, you'll want to watch her and the chicks- I had the same thing happen (hen pecking at a hatching egg) and some people said that hens have been known to help chicks hatch sometimes, so that could be what she's doing. Mine ended up pecking the chicks and I had to take them away from her. One poor little fuzzy's head was all bloody and I'm lucky it still has it's eye. So check on them and make sure she's being a good mama! Keep us updated!

3. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Okay after they hatch should I move her away from the other 8 and hens and roo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by