hen turned very aggressive- what can I do??

lilmama

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Hello:

I have a hen who hatched some eggs in early July. I have 3 other hens in the flock. We kept two of the hens that broody hatched, they are now pullets (we recently gave the other pullets away.)
The mama hen has become VERY aggressive against one of the other hens in the flock. She chases her all day. The hen who she has it out for is not a great layer (though she is on good laying feed and has oyster shell available to her.)
It is hard on the hen who is chased all the time because she's not a hearty hen. I know that is also WHY she is being chased. But, it was never a problem until recently as it has gotten really bad. Even when they are free-ranging together!
Any ideas how I can break this up? It's really a bummer to have to separate them because then one can't free range. Also, if I don't want to free-range them (it is a small yard and I don't always want them out) I can't leave them all in the coop together!!
barnie.gif

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had a similar problem recently and put the bully in solitary confinement out of sight & sound from the rest. Did it for one week and she was still bullying, kept her there for another week and she stopped the behavior. I learned this technique here on BYC and it has worked for others, too.

Just out of curiosity, is the aggressive hen a Rhode Island red? I stopped keeping this breed and any of the 'red star' or 'red sex link' breeds after finding all of them to be nasty hens. Things have been much calmer since I made this decision.

she is an anacona.
I have been letting the one who is being aggressed on out and leaving the rest in the coop/run. I'll see if doing that works for a while and if not I'll have to just quarantine the anacona. I'll check out the link- thanks.
C

Quote:
It seems to me that keeping the bird who's being harassed apart from the rest might make it worse, then she is seen as an outsider by the rest when she is returning to the coop.
hu.gif
Just a thought.

I'd separate the bully, sounds like she's the one who needs an attitude adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom