Hen Turning into Roo?!??!

Turning into a roo??

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hen

I don't see anything 'transgenderish' about it. Hens can stop laying for many reasons. Hens also develop spur nubs a lot.
She's probably getting ready to molt.
Agreed. Hens with spurs aren't uncommon (have had several). Neither is a molt at this age, nor a change in feather color. Got a Faverolles hen now that has molted into a unique mottled-type pattern. Even have another 2 year old hen that occasionally crows. None are "transgender".

Ya, it happens to me every year and I'm getting tired of it.
Come spring I get a bunch of chicks and save back the pullets. Raise them all summer to point of lay and never fails they all then turn into males. Then I have to feed a bunch of rooster all winter.
IDK how anyone ever gets any eggs.

A chicken cannot change sex. If eggs are laid it’s a hen. It sounds as if she’s had some reproductive problems for a while. Late to lay then sporadically laying ie. fairy eggs. If hens have damage to their ovary then the testereone levels have no estrogen to keep them in check. They can exhibit rooster-like quality’s but they in truth are a female with testosterone overload.

Last edited:
Ya, it happens to me every year and I'm getting tired of it.
Come spring I get a bunch of chicks and save back the pullets. Raise them all summer to point of lay and never fails they all then turn into males. Then I have to feed a bunch of rooster all winter.
IDK how anyone ever gets any eggs.
:lau

A chicken cannot change sex. If eggs are laid it’s a hen. It sounds as if she’s had some reproductive problems for a while. Late to lay then sporadically laying ie. fairy eggs. If hens have damage to their ovary then the testereone levels have no estrogen to keep them in check. They can exhibit rooster-like quality’s but they on truth are a female with testosterone overload.
Thank you very informative!

Back
Top Bottom