Hen vomiting yellow liquid - help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Granolamom, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    I have an 8-month old Delaware who stood around looking puffy and sluggish this morning. I brought her in and did the usual if a quaranteen chicken (warm cage in house, favorite foods, vitamins, etc.). She had some interest in food, but seemed really sluggish.
    I just came back home and found her vomiting brownish-yellow, slimey liquid. Her crop feels full and soft, her vent and poop are normal. I don't know when she has layed last. Her head is on the ground, with liquid oozing out of her beak.
    I feed my free-range hens Layena layer feed, and a bit of scratch on cold days.
    Please help!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My first guess is sour crop. Have you felt of her crop. Does the liquid coming from her mouth stink? I'm sure it doesn't smell good, but a spoiled smell is indicative of sour crop.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Thanks for the input, guys. I suspected sour crop (what came up when she vomited smelled really bad, and there was no iimpaction). I massaged her crop and got everything ready to flush her last night, but she had gone too long. Her comb and wattles turned purple, and she died in my arms. Wish I had found her earlier. We are very sad.

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    so sorry for your loss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by