Hen w/odd behavior...sick?

waghmg

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Have a hen that has been a lot less active. She has not been laying in a number of weeks now. She almost acts like she's depressed. Even when I let her out to free range she may eat a little grass and dig for a few bugs for just a few minutes then starts just standing around while my other two hens are active and scratching or taking dust baths.

This has been going on now for at least 2 weeks, maybe more. It was suggested she may either have mites or worms but when I check for mites I can't see anything moving on her. I do see some dandruff' type stuff on her feathers. She seems to scratch now and then. Have dusted her several times w/DE and put it inside her coop. She had really gotten into the mealy worms that I bought for her and has eaten a little of her laying feed but very little and seems to be eating less of the worms. She just lays around or stands around most of the time and when I think she's getting worse I look out and she's scratching actively. No other symptoms, no respiratory issues.

I just don't know. She lives in a coop by herself because the other 2 girls have brought blood before on her so I'm afraid to keep them together.

Should I go ahead and treat her for mites and deworm? I just don't know what else to do for her. I'm afraid I'm going to come out one day and she'll be dead.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi, Do you have any food grade DE that she could eat? I think that helps with worms.
What about some medicated feed I case it's coccidiosis?
Would she eat a mash of medicated feed with DE on it?
I'm no expert... I hope she gets better :(
Maybe someone else knows something about mite/ skin issues. I'm clueless there.
Please update us ...

Back
Top Bottom