Hen walking backwards

sarahbobo

Chirping
Nov 12, 2021
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi, I have a hen, Neo, who is 7 years old, still laying (although not at this moment since it's fall), and is currently missing many of her neck feathers from molting. Her comb is currently pale. For around a year now, she's been doing the behavior chickens sometimes do where she puts her head to the ground and walks backwards, sometimes just a couple steps, sometimes many steps. It usually happens a few times a day, but she's currently doing it every few minutes. She does this whether there are other birds nearby or not, whether I'm looking directly at her or not. I took her to the vet when I first noticed it and the vet couldn't find any possible causes and thought it was behavioral rather than neurological. My girls are all on 20% layer feed. She probably also has scaly leg mites, since a couple of my other hens do. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing her to walk backwards this way, or if it's indicative of a greater health problem? I'm trying to get more nutrition into her since her comb is pale. Does she need more protein, maybe?

I have another hen with a worse case of scaly leg mites who does this on occasion, but it looks more voluntary in her case and she doesn't do it as often or as severely. A third hen who also has a worse case of SLM never does this behavior.

Also, I've read that picking chickens up while they're molting can be painful for them. Is there any way I can try to make it more comfortable for Neo when I treat her for SLM?

7 years old. Molting = this means the comb and wattles are generally pale.

Does she only walk backward when she's molting each year?

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Give her 1/2 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E for 7 days.

7 years old. Molting = this means the comb and wattles are generally pale.

Does she only walk backward when she's molting each year?

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Give her 1/2 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E for 7 days.
She just started doing it about a year ago, so during her last molt. She continued to do it through the summer, but now it's way more often than it's ever been.

I'll check her crop first thing tomorrow. Does the B complex and E help with crop problems or molting?

The B complex I have on hand is a dissolving tablet from EZ Melts (https://ezmelts.com/products/b-complex), is that okay for her? Here are the ingredients:

Active ingredients: Thiamin (as Vitamin B1) - 1.8 mg, Riboflavin (as Vitamin B2) - 1.95 mg, Niacin (as Niacinamide and niacin) - 24 mg NE, Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCI) - 2.55 mg, Folate (as L-5-methylfolate, calcium salt) - 600 mcg DFE (353 mg), Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin) - 360 mcg, Biotin (as d-Biotin) - 450 mcg, Pantothenic acid (as D-calcium pantothenate) - 7.5 mg, Inositol (as Myo-inositol) - 10 mg

Other ingredients: mannitol, xylitol, natural flavors and color, plant-based magnesium stearate, malic acid, and monk fruit extract

I checked her this morning and her crop was empty, but she's very skinny - 3.1 pounds when I weighed her. She's an Ameraucana. I'm going to go to the store and get the E and B vitamins for her today. I'm thinking I'll crush some Brazil nuts for them too, since it looks like selenium deficiency is another possible cause. I was going to take two others to the vet tomorrow for scaly leg mites, but I'm thinking of swapping one of them out for Neo instead so that she can get in sooner. I'm not sure how to help her gain weight back besides those things :(

It's good that her crop is emptying.

The nuts should have sufficient selenium for the uptake of E. Selenium is also found in their food, it's not really a mineral that most are deficient in and they only need a tiny amount. Re-read what you've been reading and understand it.

If you have other issues like mite/lice and/or worms then this can also affect the overall health of a chicken.

With her being older, then she may also be starting to have difficulties due to age, so keep that in mind as well.

This is the article I most recently read. I'm not sure what I'm not understanding? https://animaldome.com/why-chickens-walk-backwards/

"To avoid certain mishaps, try supplementing Vitamin E (400iu capsule). Since the reason for the chicken walking backward is linked directly to their deficiency of Vitamin E, this will serve as a better solution.

However, that’s not the only thing you need to focus on. In situations like this one, it’s also important to improve your chicken’s diet because deficiencies lead to dizziness, which then leads to gastrointestinal issues, weakening the immunity of your chicks. So, if you’re giving your chicken a 400iu capsule, try serving cooked eggs for breakfast and tuna with selenium for lunch or supper."

Indeed, I'm being mindful of her age and considering how much I want to do to try to save her at this point, if it will be unnecessary misery for her.

since it looks like selenium deficiency is another possible cause.

"To avoid certain mishaps, try supplementing Vitamin E (400iu capsule). Since the reason for the chicken walking backward is linked directly to their deficiency of Vitamin E, this will serve as a better solution.

So, if you’re giving your chicken a 400iu capsule, try serving cooked eggs for breakfast and tuna with selenium for lunch or supper."
Selenium helps with the uptake of E, so this is why it's usually suggested to provide nuts, egg, tuna when treating with extra E.

Vitamin E is given to offer support for neurological symptoms like walking backwards.

Chickens don't require a great amount of selenium so what's found in their nutritionally balance feed and in a little extra egg, etc. is sufficient. Too much selenium is toxic.

The article also said "Why do chickens walk backwards? Chickens with a deficiency of Selenium or Vitamin E or both (in some cases) tend to walk backward. However, it doesn’t stop there. You might see your chicken frequently off balance or even swinging his head more often than not. Yes! It’s only normal among those with a deficiency of Vitamin E or Selenium."

Either way, I need to supplement with both E and a selenium-rich food. Hopefully that'll help my girlie.

Back
Top Bottom