Hen walking backwards??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oliviad51, Mar 13, 2011.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Yesterday, I noticed one of my hens start randomly walking backwards across the yard. She does it pretty fast like something is in front of her chasing her. She only goes a few steps and then turns back around and starts walking normal.
    I searched this problem in the search box and everything I found had to do with a neck or leg problem but she is very healthy and in good condition. Its just weird. Does anyone know what the heck could be up with this?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    That is really odd, not sure what could cause that- hopefully someone will come along who may have some experience with that issue!

3. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I know..its extremely weird. Its almost like she's gone insane

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Mine display weird behaviors sometimes too, maybe she's after a bug or something. Maybe she sees something you don't [​IMG]

5. ilovebuffs

ilovebuffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Senoia, GA
    I have a White leghorn hen that has done that several times. I've tried to look it up but, like you, found nothing that pertained to me. It is really odd. But our Jazzy seems to be perfectly healthy. I wish I could help you figure out why they do it... I'll be watching to see if anyone knows why they do this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by