hen walking problem video included splayed spraddle leg? mareks?

treehugger777

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 4, 2012
Long Island, NY
as a chick, I though both white one walked a little funny, but they still walked, so I thought it must have been just because they were so fat. I have heard of mareks and read up on it but her legs are not paralyzed. She seems good in health, although her underbelly is red and irritated, and dirty..again..even though I just bathed her... I have been doing physical therapy with her legs every day for the past week, she show some resistance, and she does move her legs while shes on her back. I also fed her some pulverized egg shells, quinoa, flax mixture for a few days but that didn't seem to help either. She is a sweet girl I don't want her suffering, I really want this fixed. none of the other chickens have this problem

Wish I could help you with your girl - I found your post because I have an Americana that isn't walking right. I noticed it last night. She'd stand up and wobble-walk a step and fall - there is obviously something wrong. I separated her from the flock and put her in a dog crate and then this morning moved her from the chicken yard to my backyard. It's like her foot is paralyzed or something. She doesn't (can't?) get up and as she is sitting her green leg (one is poking out from under her) looks broken, disabled, paralyzed or something resulting in complete loss of function.

What to do? I'm thinking I should send her home.

Thoughts? I've got to figure this out and am very sorry for her situation.

Thanks for any advice or enlightenment as I've never had a girl get sick (I rescued this bird about 3 weeks ago so she may have had something that I didn't know about from her former home).

Lisa

The one leg, out front, totally useless is the most known symptom of Marek's. She probably will not recover. Humanly euthaniziing and having a necropsy performed is the way to go. That way, you will know what you are dealing with. If it's Marek's, your entire flock is in danger. You need to thoroughly disinfect everything. Marek's is spread through the air, dander, feces and saliva. The best course of action would be to find a state lab to do the necropsy. Most offer services for little/no cost.
Wish I could help you with your girl - I found your post because I have an Americana that isn't walking right. I noticed it last night. She'd stand up and wobble-walk a step and fall - there is obviously something wrong. I separated her from the flock and put her in a dog crate and then this morning moved her from the chicken yard to my backyard. It's like her foot is paralyzed or something. She doesn't (can't?) get up and as she is sitting her green leg (one is poking out from under her) looks broken, disabled, paralyzed or something resulting in complete loss of function.

What to do? I'm thinking I should send her home.

Thoughts? I've got to figure this out and am very sorry for her situation.

Thanks for any advice or enlightenment as I've never had a girl get sick (I rescued this bird about 3 weeks ago so she may have had something that I didn't know about from her former home).

Lisa

I do not believe this is fixable...not at her age. I am more leaning towards a neurological problem or Marek's. Marek's does not always leave them totally paralyzed. You can try this vitamin regimen for two weeks. If it doesn't help, I would humanly euthanize and have a necropsy done.

First, however, you need to separate her from the others. Practice good quarantine procedures during the vitamin therapy if you chose to do it.
as a chick, I though both white one walked a little funny, but they still walked, so I thought it must have been just because they were so fat. I have heard of mareks and read up on it but her legs are not paralyzed. She seems good in health, although her underbelly is red and irritated, and dirty..again..even though I just bathed her... I have been doing physical therapy with her legs every day for the past week, she show some resistance, and she does move her legs while shes on her back. I also fed her some pulverized egg shells, quinoa, flax mixture for a few days but that didn't seem to help either. She is a sweet girl I don't want her suffering, I really want this fixed. none of the other chickens have this problem

Thanks for the reply. I have been researching Marek's and she seems a fit. I am worried about my flock. Will tend to the yard today; turn the dirt (have a tiller), clean coop, wash out etc. I'll do what I can; don't want to lose my other girls. I'm wondering if she had this before I got her and the symptoms have appeared? Also, I had a girl "fly the coop" and come back after 3 weeks...maybe she brought it in? Who knows how you get this sort of thing.

I've called the local Agricultural department and left a message. I'll see if they call me back. Off to work on the yard. I so hope this doesn't affect my flock as I just love my girls and work hard at giving them a great living environment.

Thanks again,

Lisa the Nevada Gal

Thanks for the reply. I have been researching Marek's and she seems a fit. I am worried about my flock. Will tend to the yard today; turn the dirt (have a tiller), clean coop, wash out etc. I'll do what I can; don't want to lose my other girls. I'm wondering if she had this before I got her and the symptoms have appeared? Also, I had a girl "fly the coop" and come back after 3 weeks...maybe she brought it in? Who knows how you get this sort of thing.

I've called the local Agricultural department and left a message. I'll see if they call me back. Off to work on the yard. I so hope this doesn't affect my flock as I just love my girls and work hard at giving them a great living environment.

Thanks again,

Lisa the Nevada Gal

Well, I've finished with the chickens and hope they will be okay. I've got the sick girl off to the doc for a Necropsy and hopefully will know in a few days. I just hope it isn't contagious. Last time I rescue without knowing more about the living environment the bird comes from; my mistake. I was innocently trusting.

I have tilled the yard so all the dirt was turned. I have cleaned out the coop including spraying with water until it dried and then threw on a quick coat of paint - I'd been meaning to do that anyway as I hose their coop out from time to time and thought I should paint the bottom. I've done everything I can except turn back the hands of time ... I'm back to riding "God's magic carpet" (as I like to say) or as Doris Day is famous for singing - "Que Sera, Sera".

Again, many thanks for such a quick response; this is the best chicken forum hands down and in an emergency a real blessing. As an aside, when I find out what she had I'll post it back here just so others might know.

(

I'm sorry that you lost the hen. I'm glad you are having the necropsy, though and, thanks for your willingness to share the results. It is very helpful to us all.

I would have suggested bleaching your coop instead of just using water. Marek's is a tough bugger to get rid of.

reply to everyone: sorry it to so long to come back on. Chiquita, the white hen in the video, is now seperated from the others and i spiked her food with echinacea and green veggie powder. The other chickens all seem perfectly fine, I am kind of banking on it not being mareks I really don't have time to sanitize an entire coop. But anyway, she's seperate now, aND still seems perfectly fine other than not able to walk well

Back
Top Bottom